[SOLVED] I5 6600k vs R5 1600x , current cpu Pentium G4560 so i have mobo for i5 already

Solution

It's not exactly minimizing costs. G4560 is already 7th-gen. Intel is expensive even for the older generations that are limited to quad-cores. They are still good processors though.

UK has a really good price for the 1600X. I'd go for that + B350 motherboard. Only thing is you only have enough leftover for a cheap motherboard and...

Tensus

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

Can only spend £180 and selling isnt option as I won't have a pc then xd

It's not exactly minimizing costs. G4560 is already 7th-gen. Intel is expensive even for the older generations that are limited to quad-cores. They are still good processors though.

UK has a really good price for the 1600X. I'd go for that + B350 motherboard. Only thing is you only have enough leftover for a cheap motherboard and the 1600X doesn't come with a cooler. You might be better off with the 1600 since it comes with a cooler.

Solution

Tensus

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

Will my EVO 212 not fit?

With your motherboard I would look for a used i7 6700. It will game better than the 1600x or the 6600k and you may be able to find a decent deal on a used one.

Tensus

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

Dont feel like getting scammed, sorry

Tensus

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Ill be going with I5 6600k, i have a mobo for it already, its less hassle and ill be overclocking anyway for more performance and i hear intel overclocking is better

Yes, but you might need the AM4 mounting bracket.

Tensus

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017

Thats ok, down the line if I have any spare cash ill chuck it at new mobo if i find i need more performance from my i5 but right now its not possible since this is christmas gift and only allowed to spend £190, thanks for your guys time <3

Tensus

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Nevermind boys, i did some digging, got a better deal with R5 1600X with new mobo for same price as i5 maybe less and I can overclock it to make up for the tiny difference in performance

Scammed? I have bought a ton of used hardware from ebay and craigslist. I have never been scammed. You just have to buy from reputable sellers and be smart.

Yeah, only time I almost got scammed was when I bought an i5-4690K for $90 in 2016 (they were worth double that price) from someone who had zero feedback history and a brand new account. I got my money back though after nothing showed up at my house. eBay money back guarantee. I already had a used i7-4790K and a used i5-4690K from earlier that year I bough t on eBay. Both worked wonderfully. I've bought a used Asus Strix GTX 970 which had a noisy fan in 2016. I was able to RMA it through the manufacturer since it was still under warranty. I've bought a used i3-6100 and it's still working great in my parent's PC. I also have sold many, many graphics cards, processors, and memory sticks on eBay that all worked well or were still under warranty.

For the price of a new i5-6600K (non OC'd w/ a B250 mobo) you can get an i3-8100 + B360 mobo for a cheaper price with the same performance and the upgrade option to six-core i5 and i7 and also eight-core i7 and i9 on the same motherboard. Or get a Z370/390 motherboard and it would all equal the price of the i5-6600K.

Long story short.. buying a new i5-6600K right now is simply not a good idea. There is no good upgrade option from it. It will equal an 8th-gen i3 in performance and can only be upgraded to an i7-7700K which equals an 8th-gen i5 in performance. It would cost you more in the long run to get the same performance as 8th/9th-gen.

Only way that wouldn't matter is if you never upgrade your GPU and never want to stream your games... until you build a whole new PC. Which again, would cost more. So yeah, just never upgrade again is the only way it wouldn't matter.