[SOLVED] I5 7400 high temerature with stock cooler

Feb 11, 2019
I have an I5 7400 ...I use the integrated graphics which is HD 630 for gaming as I don't game much...but recently while playing some games it gets up to 97 degrees which is really high..
Do I need to get a cooler now?

Solution
Check the fan speeds and be sure that there isn't any "silent fan" profile somewhere. If the fans are spinning at 100% with that temps you will definitely need a new cooler but in this case I guess you had terrible luck with the silicon lottery or maybe the thermal paste between the die and the IHS is not enough (factory issue). Also if the airflow in the box is terribly wrong this can happen but it is very unusual, just a single fan in the back taking the air out should be enough.

You will probably be able to ask for warranty to Intel (I think they give 4 years for any processor in the entire world) pleading for very high temperatures.

Phazoner

Distinguished
97 degrees is very high, the stock cooler uses to be enough for a not overclocked i5 without using the iGPU but still 97 degrees is too much. Have you tried to repaste? It feels more like a bad pasting or sitting of the cooler.

Feb 11, 2019

I have tried repasting...I got a friend of mine to do it for me....If I'm not gaming the temperature is at 33-40

Phazoner

Distinguished
Check the fan speeds and be sure that there isn't any "silent fan" profile somewhere. If the fans are spinning at 100% with that temps you will definitely need a new cooler but in this case I guess you had terrible luck with the silicon lottery or maybe the thermal paste between the die and the IHS is not enough (factory issue). Also if the airflow in the box is terribly wrong this can happen but it is very unusual, just a single fan in the back taking the air out should be enough.

You will probably be able to ask for warranty to Intel (I think they give 4 years for any processor in the entire world) pleading for very high temperatures.

Solution