I5-7600k are my temps too high-new build-stressed test on prime max temp 76 - cool master evo 212

NotSoSavvyTechGuy

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
So first I will list my build

cpu- i5-7600k no oc
cpu cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with Arctic Silver 5 for thermal paste
mobo- ASRock Z270 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
gpu- 2 evga gtx 770 sli
ram-G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
a 120 gb ssd and 1tb hdd
Rosewill Galaxy-02 ATX Mid Tower Case which has a front fan, side fan, top fan, and back fan all 120mm

So I'm writing because as with any new build I stressed test prime 95 for over 2 hours and hit max temps of 76 Celsius but mostly sitting around 60-65 but this are with any oc. I know Intel says 100 is it's kill point but I have heard people say your temp is actual 25 hotter having something to do with the censors. I also know hitting around there every so often shouldn't kill it that's more long term temps but having just coming from a amd fx-6300 with a pretty good over clocking of 4.4ghz and staying really in the 65 range never getting as high as this. With the fact that everyone says amd runs hotter. If there's some things I should try or in fact is this the normal temp rang for a air cooled non-oc i5-7600k.

The two ideas I'm bouncing in my head are one the 212 evo is a pretty big hunk of metal and a bit of a pain to install and did wiggle a bit while installing NOT COMING off the cpu but back and forth so maybe that made some air bubble making the heat transfer less than ideal.

The other being the top fan I ran out off places to plug fans on my pc and had to use a molex converter right from the psu. So it looses control and doesn't know to go faster at point so maybe I should get a splitter but idk if that would help with fan control.

the other thing it didn't necessarily feel as hot as I remember when holding my hand to the back of the pc as when I had the fx-6300 but can't say for sure and forgot what the system temp was but it was in a safe range.

Any ideas or words of wisdom?

I all most forgot the build before this did not have two gpus in it so that might be the cause for extra heat as well as the difference in mobos the evo 212 was stuck air up and blowing out the top as were as now it sucks it from the front and blows it out back.

Solution

What you have "heard people say" concerning sensor calibration is misinformation being spread by those who don't understand how Intel's Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) actually function to measure Core temperatures.

For the record, there is no such 25°C offset or error. Intel's specification for DTS accuracy is +/- 5°C. This means deviations between the highest and lowest Cores can be up to 10°C.

Here's the recommended operating range for Core temperature...
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. You did run the test with small FFTs right? I use Intel's Burn Test(set to maximum instead of standard).

The next upgrade I would make is to a 1060 6GB or a 1070. You know not all games can appreciate a SLI setup nor is scaling 100%.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

What you have "heard people say" concerning sensor calibration is misinformation being spread by those who don't understand how Intel's Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) actually function to measure Core temperatures.

For the record, there is no such 25°C offset or error. Intel's specification for DTS accuracy is +/- 5°C. This means deviations between the highest and lowest Cores can be up to 10°C.

Here's the recommended operating range for Core temperature:

80°C Hot (100% Load)
75°C Warm
70°C Warm (Heavy Load)
60°C Norm
50°C Norm (Medium Load)
40°C Norm
30°C Cool (Idle)
25°C Cool

Core temperatures up to 80°C are safe.

Q: What is your ambient temperature?
Q: Which version of Prime95?

Do NOT use versions of Prime95 later than 26.6. Recent versions of Prime95 such as 28.9 run AVX code on the CPU's Floating Point Unit (FPU) which causes unrealistic temperatures up to 20°C higher. The FPU test in the utility AIDA64 shows similar results.

As aquielisunari has pointed out, Small FFT's is the proper thermal test because it's a steady-state 100% workload which provides steady-state Core temperatures. Blend is instead a fluctuating workload for testing memory stability which has fluctuating Core temperatures.

You might want to read this Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Solution