I5-8250u vs Ryzen 5 2500u for light gaming

My Pet Russian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
My SOs was sent back recently for a refund after a fault developed, so she's now in the market for a new laptop. I'm normally the tech one but I have no idea when it comes to laptops.

We are looking at two of the same brand of laptop which are the same (£500, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD) except for the CPU and GPU. So I'm looking for advice on which is better.

The programs she is looking to run are Sims 4 with all the expansions and the Life is Strange series. She's not looking for 1080p, Ultra, 60FPS, but decently playable and wants to know which is better. Can anyone shed some light on which is better?

Thanks for any help.

Solution
The Intel will perform better on strictly CPU related tasks (though since this is the laptop variant it won't be that big of a difference) than the AMD. However the AMD iGPU is hands down better than the Intel iGPU. If there isn't an extra GPU involved in this equation the AMD would be a better buy for the intended use case.

Chaos2Theory

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Ryzen generally comes with a lot more graphics power, and intel with more battery life. Both will be easily able to play the sims 4 though, although for the price range of an i5/ryzen 5 computer you should really look into one with an ssd.

Life, especailly laptop life, is infinintly better with one, even if its a small 120gb one.

An i5 will feel like a pentium without one.

The Intel will perform better on strictly CPU related tasks (though since this is the laptop variant it won't be that big of a difference) than the AMD. However the AMD iGPU is hands down better than the Intel iGPU. If there isn't an extra GPU involved in this equation the AMD would be a better buy for the intended use case.

Solution