i5-8400 high usage

Oct 1, 2018
Hello everyone,

Recently I bought a GTX 1080 Ti for a dirt cheap price at a popular computer store in my country. When I got it and ran a few benchmarks in some games I noticed some of them had texture glitches, stuttering or a lower fps than I expected. Primarily in Far Cry 5 these issues appeared.

In the beginning I believed it to be my GPU that maybe somehow I got a defective unit and was actually gonna send it back to the store tomorrow till I ran some more tests today and decided to take my CPU into account and then I saw it. 90% with a peak to 100% which also caused the game to stutter and have its texture glitches.

At first I thought it to be a bottleneck but other benchmarks online dont seem to have this problem at all! And I don't believe it to be my resolution either which is 2160x1440@144hz.

I'm thinking about contacting the store I bought my CPU from but first I hoped you guys could help me.

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 @ 2.80GHz
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
RAM: G.Skill DDR4-3000 Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x
Storage:
• 250GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2
• 250GB Samsung 750 EVO SSD
• 55GB Kingston SSD
• 16GB Intel Optane m.2
• 3TB Western Digital Blue Hard Drive
• 3TB Western Digital Blue Hard Drive

Ralston18

Titan
Check your system's power requirements via 2 or 3 online calculators.

My thought is that that 750W Cosair PSU is not up to the load being imposed on it.

Another approach is to look up and total up the wattage requirements (max) for all components and then add 40%.

What total do you get and is that total close to or over 750 Watts?

Oct 1, 2018

According to most calculators (if I correctly filled them in) only requires 500~ watt. I didn't have this problem with my previous GTX 1070, all I did was upgrade to a 1080 Ti. I did yesterday saw in another thread something about upgrading the chipset. So I downloaded the Intel chipset INF and that sort of seemed to solve the problem? I benchmarked some of my games by playing them for 10 minutes each (Far Cry 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Kingdom Come Deliverance) and the CPU Usage seemed more stable, hovering around the 90% most of the time. Could this have been the solution?

Ralston18

Titan
Appears that you should have enough margin with respect to the PSU wattage.

As for the .INF files the upgrade may have made some difference. One way to know would be errors with the former and fewer errors with the upgrade.

Time will tell and perhaps someone on the gaming side of things may offer additional comment and suggestions.

In the meantime continue watching performance and the logs (Reliability History, Event Viewer, Performance Monitor).

If something changes you should be able to determine what did (or perhaps "did not") happen.