[SOLVED] i5-8400 on a low end H310 board?

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Hello

Many people seem to be saying not to go above i3 for a low end board such as my Asus H310m-k, even reviewers say it.

I couldn't help but always think these people are full of <expletive removed> and just speculating, while having really no evidence to back this up, just assuming the VRM wouldn't handle it because it's a cheap board blablabla.. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good match with a locked 65w CPU.. I even see people who have no issues with VRM running i7's on such boards.

Now what do you true experienced hardware enthousiast, who can look beyond this bias, think of this?

Solution
Hello

Many people seem to be saying not to go above i3 for a low end board such as my Asus H310m-k, even reviewers say it.

I couldn't help but always think these people are full of <expletive removed> and just speculating, while having really no evidence to back this up, just assuming the VRM wouldn't handle it because it's a cheap board blablabla.. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good match with a locked 65w CPU.. I even see people who have no issues with VRM running i7's on such boards.

Now what do you true experienced hardware enthousiast, who can look beyond this bias, think of this?
Where do you plan on getting the 8400? A new one is more than $200 USD and a used one on fleabay is $100-$150. It's 8th...
Hello

Where do you plan on getting the 8400? A new one is more than $200 USD and a used one on fleabay is $100-$150. It's 8th gen part which is 3 gen's behind. Not sure I see the point of spending money on an older platform unless budget is a big issue. This is aside from the fact the VRM is weak, although I doubt it would have a problem with a 65 watt i5.

Do you think you'll get a performance gain worthy of the expense? Single core performance is probably similar to your i3 (assuming that's what you have now) so unless you can make use of a few more cores it won't make much difference. If you can get the 8400 really cheap I don't see a problem. Can't say for sure since I don't know what CPU you're using now or what your intended use is for the system.

Solution

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Where do you plan on getting the 8400? A new one is more than $200 USD and a used one on fleabay is $100-$150. It's 8th gen part which is 3 gen's behind. Not sure I see the point of spending money on an older platform unless budget is a big issue. This is aside from the fact the VRM is weak, although I doubt it would have a problem with a 65 watt i5.

Do you think you'll get a performance gain worthy of the expense? Single core performance is probably similar to your i3 (assuming that's what you have now) so unless you can make use of a few more cores it won't make much difference. If you can get the 8400 really cheap I don't see a problem. Can't say for sure since I don't know what CPU you're using now or what your intended use is for the system.

I got an 8400 for 50 bucks used and had this motherboard laying around. Agree 100% its not worth the money new, should get an 11400f instead if that was the case

Last edited: