i5 8400 with 1080ti for 4k 60hz .

sumeetbadshah29

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
hey guys i am trying to figure out if 8400 i5 will bottleneck 1080ti?
my preference is 4k gaming on 55inch curved tv at 60hz .is this a good build ?or do i need 8600k or 8700k .2nd question is will it be able to play games at ultra settings with 60hz

Solution
At 4K you are fine. That resolution is too demanding on the GPU for that CPU to be much hindrance if any.

At any resolution. The CPU does just as much work per frame then feeds it to the GPU. At lower resolutions the GPU can then rapidly render that frame. The work required to render those frames in the GPU increases as resolution increases. So, fewer frames can be rendered per second.

I'm just ballparking an estimate. I'd guess a GTX 1080 Ti will effectively work at 4K somewhere around where a GTX 1060 will work at 1920x1080. So, I wouldn't sweat using a Core i5-8400.
At 4K you are fine. That resolution is too demanding on the GPU for that CPU to be much hindrance if any.

At any resolution. The CPU does just as much work per frame then feeds it to the GPU. At lower resolutions the GPU can then rapidly render that frame. The work required to render those frames in the GPU increases as resolution increases. So, fewer frames can be rendered per second.

I'm just ballparking an estimate. I'd guess a GTX 1080 Ti will effectively work at 4K somewhere around where a GTX 1060 will work at 1920x1080. So, I wouldn't sweat using a Core i5-8400.

Solution

I look for a good balance. The i5-8400 offers good single thread performance and excellent multi-threaded performance for the price.Some lower end processors can do better in single threaded performance.

As far as gaming is concerned. Games which can only use one or two threads aren't very demanding. They were and still are designed for much slower processors which don't offer anywhere near the performance the i5-8400 delivers at 4Ghz (turbo boost). On heavily multi-threaded games. You are pretty well limited to a more expensive i5 or i7 consumer CPU to do any better. Unless you spend a lot more for a prosumer/workstation grade i7 or i9.

As far as the benefits of any of those is concerned. You'll only realize them in games at 1920x1080 with a high end GPU on a 144hz monitor. 4K is simply too demanding on the GPU to see much of any benefit over an i5-8400. I'm sure there may be a small handful of exceptions. But your monitor is only 60hz so anything over 60FPS will result in tearing.

Something like an i5-8600K or i7-8700K would be good if you streamed or did other multi-tasking while gaming. They'd also have a longer useful life. For pairing with a 3080 Ti or whatever numbering nVidia uses a couple generations from now.