i5 8600k Stock settings (Volt, temps etc)

TheMasti

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
I have a question about the i5 8600k, since I'm considering getting that over an i5 8400, due to the higher clocks, and it would probably be better for my a GTX 1080 too.

What are the settings out of the box on the i5 8600k?
Do I need to do anything from BIOS if I get it? Or can I just start the PC, and it will be around the 1.250V?
Probably relevant, not sure as I've never tweaked anything in a BIOS before, except for CPU cooler speed, but the MB is an Asus Z370H ROG Strix.

I have a fear about the temps and voltages on the coffee lakes.
From what I'm reading, this is a very hot line of CPUs and their voltages seems to be quite high for my liking.
I'm not really into overclocking, but I might give it a go if I get this CPU.

So if anyone who owns an i5 8600k, please give me your experience with your CPU.

Solution
Depends. When you enable XMP for your ram, the bios will ask if you wish to enable MCE (multicore enhancement - lock all cores at max boost freq).

If you select no, it will operate at reasonable volts/temps and boost as normal.

If yes, it will up the volts, up the temps, and need much better cooling but it will perform better.

Note that if you select No but change your mind later (and decide to overclock), you *must* reset to bios defaults or it will do wacky things when you start fooling with multipliers and volts. I wasted hours due to failing to comprehend that little tidbit.

Memphisto

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Hello TheMasti

As Hang-the-9 said ....IF your motherboard Supports the CPU there should be no Problem...

BUT! Before you start the PC with the new CPU i would reset the Bios.."Load default settings"
Just in case you accidently changed something else when you where changing the fanspeeds :)

After Loading the Defaults i would take a look at the Bios Version...
Asus Motherboards normally have a good Bios in which you can do the Biosupdate directly...

Just start the BIOSUPDATE Tool inside the BIOS and choose "Internet" und Update your BIOS
ASUS-ROG-STRIX-Z370E-Gaming-UEFI-KitGuru-21.jpg

This maybe may not even needed but its always good to have the newest Bios Version

After that install the NEW CPU and it should just work...
But be shure to install the cooler correctly and check the CPU Temps just to be shure

Greetz Memphisto

TheMasti

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
I do appreciate you taking your time to answer, however..
Not really what I'm asking, I'm asking for experienced 8600k owners who can tell me what the stock settings and temps are.
Not once did I ask if it would work.

Depends. When you enable XMP for your ram, the bios will ask if you wish to enable MCE (multicore enhancement - lock all cores at max boost freq).

If you select no, it will operate at reasonable volts/temps and boost as normal.

If yes, it will up the volts, up the temps, and need much better cooling but it will perform better.

Note that if you select No but change your mind later (and decide to overclock), you *must* reset to bios defaults or it will do wacky things when you start fooling with multipliers and volts. I wasted hours due to failing to comprehend that little tidbit.

Solution

urbancamper

Distinguished
This pic shows stock at rest setting and at load while playing Battlefield 1. The temps are with a Corsair H100i v2.0 cooler. While this is a general idea of what you can expect, your cpu will most likely have slightly different vcore setting. Generally at stock setting they are all pretty close to the same.
jmGrUwb.jpg