[SOLVED] I5-9300H - Very low CPU clock speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2021
Hello,

I have an Acer Nitro AN515-54 laptop with I5-9300H. During the game, my laptop rapidly lowers the processor clock speed to even 1 GHz. I have followed these steps:

• Undervolted CPU using throttlestop and attempt to disable Speed Shift, BD PROCHOT , C1E
  • Changed power plans in windows
  • Reinstalled system ( Windows 10/11 )
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated chipset drivers
And many, many more...

I tried to use configurations from different videos or from other people, but they bring me completely different results. I have a laptop for a year, the problem occurs from the beginning, and all the solutions did not help. I have no idea anymore, after completing all the threads i did not get the correct answer.

Thanks.

dghzOUo.jpg

FqN615o.jpg

Solution
That's probably because of temps.

"The PROCHOT box notifies you when your processor has reached its maximum safe operating temperature.
If you are doing something stressful or playing a game and you notice that the PROCHOT box suddenly has a check mark in it, that tells you that your CPU reached that temperature. The PROCHOT box will remain checked even if your temperature returns to normal. That means you do not always have to watch for your CPU overheating. ThrottleStop does not even have to be running since this throttling information is stored within the CPU. As soon as ThrottleStop starts or as ThrottleStop is running, if any overheating is detected, a check mark will appear. Clicking on this box will clear that information from...

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
That's probably because of temps.

"The PROCHOT box notifies you when your processor has reached its maximum safe operating temperature.
If you are doing something stressful or playing a game and you notice that the PROCHOT box suddenly has a check mark in it, that tells you that your CPU reached that temperature. The PROCHOT box will remain checked even if your temperature returns to normal. That means you do not always have to watch for your CPU overheating. ThrottleStop does not even have to be running since this throttling information is stored within the CPU. As soon as ThrottleStop starts or as ThrottleStop is running, if any overheating is detected, a check mark will appear. Clicking on this box will clear that information from the CPU and from ThrottleStop. Once the PROCHOT box is clear, clicking on this box again will not set this flag within the CPU. Only an overheating processor can set this flag. " By unclewebb

Solution
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 99% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Oct 24, 2021
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 99% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

I did this before using Throttlestop, but the results were not satisfying. I am only wondering why in a large number of laptop tests, where people also often reach 95 degrees Celsius, the processor clock is kept above 3GHz. For me, this result is unattainable i have a constant 3.4 GHz on the desktop, after switching to a slightly demanding game, the clock drops to around 1.2 GHz.

run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo
Why? ThrottleStop shows that the CPU is overheating and thermal throttling.

BqYi5M6.png

When ThrottleStop shows HOT in red, that confirms thermal throttling is in progress.

Most laptop manufacturers are ignoring the Intel 100°C recommended thermal throttling temperature. ThrottleStop reports this correctly. It shows that the processor hot (PROCHOT) temperature has been lowered to 92°C instead of the full 100°C. This was set by Acer in the BIOS and yes, this reduces maximum performance compared to the competition.

Acer likes to lock the PROCHOT Offset value so it cannot be easily changed. Open the ThrottleStop Options window and see if there is a lock icon near PROCHOT Offset on the right side. If you see a lock icon, this setting cannot be adjusted. The Intel default for PROCHOT Offset is 0. Acer set this Offset to 8 so thermal throttling starts way too soon.

ThrottleStop also shows that when the CPU is running at 12.4W, the CPU is reaching the 92°C thermal throttling temperature. That means the cooling is completely inadequate. The 9300H has a 45W TDP rating. A properly engineered cooling system should be able to keep the CPU from overheating when it is running at its rated TDP. Overheating at only 12W is terrible.

When was the last time this laptop was disassembled for a thorough cleaning? Replacing the thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink would be a good idea too.

Do some research. Do not just grab the cheapest paste that the closest store has. Some popular thermal pastes that work well on desktop CPUs do not work very well when used direct die on a laptop CPU. Noctua NT-H2 works well in laptops. The cooling has to be significantly improved before your laptop is ever going to run close to its rated speed. Adjusting the voltage can help but it cannot fix inadequate cooling.

Oct 24, 2021
Why? ThrottleStop shows that the CPU is overheating and thermal throttling.

BqYi5M6.png

When ThrottleStop shows HOT in red, that confirms thermal throttling is in progress.

Most laptop manufacturers are ignoring the Intel 100°C recommended thermal throttling temperature. ThrottleStop reports this correctly. It shows that the processor hot (PROCHOT) temperature has been lowered to 92°C instead of the full 100°C. This was set by Acer in the BIOS and yes, this reduces maximum performance compared to the competition.

Acer likes to lock the PROCHOT Offset value so it cannot be easily changed. Open the ThrottleStop Options window and see if there is a lock icon near PROCHOT Offset on the right side. If you see a lock icon, this setting cannot be adjusted. The Intel default for PROCHOT Offset is 0. Acer set this Offset to 8 so thermal throttling starts way too soon.

ThrottleStop also shows that when the CPU is running at 12.4W, the CPU is reaching the 92°C thermal throttling temperature. That means the cooling is completely inadequate. The 9300H has a 45W TDP rating. A properly engineered cooling system should be able to keep the CPU from overheating when it is running at its rated TDP. Overheating at only 12W is terrible.

When was the last time this laptop was disassembled for a thorough cleaning? Replacing the thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink would be a good idea too.

Do some research. Do not just grab the cheapest paste that the closest store has. Some popular thermal pastes that work well on desktop CPUs do not work very well when used direct die on a laptop CPU. Noctua NT-H2 works well in laptops. The cooling has to be significantly improved before your laptop is ever going to run close to its rated speed. Adjusting the voltage can help but it cannot fix inadequate cooling.

Okay, so today i changed the thermal paste to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. I also cleaned the entire cooling system. Unfortunately, the situation has not improved significantly, right after turning on the PC I have 40 degrees, games - 87-94, and after turning off the game 70 (temperature drops terribly slowly).

I changed the paste 2 times and checked if everything was tightly pressed - everything was correct. I have no idea anymore, what could be wrong with this laptop?

LWFYfF3.png

Nu9AKtl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.