Question I5 9400F CPU Cooler Spinning fast

rodrigojkrs

Reputable
Jun 11, 2020
My CPU cooler is spinning in an absurd way even when the pc is idle, the processor is a 9400F that was purchased 2 weeks ago, when I turn on the pc it already boosts the cooler, but I believe it is normal, in stress test then spins so fast that I don't even let it end, in this video that I show the problem was happening on my Mobo Asus Rog Strix B360-H , I bought another mobo and the problem still persists, I already tested the power supply with multimeter, and everything is normal , this new mobo has 4x4 and 2x2 CPU connectors, and my power supply only 4x4 but I believe that this isn't a problem because it is enough, I have no idea what to do since both the mobo and the processor are new, and the rest of the parts have already been tested, if someone can help me.

View: https://youtu.be/yDEjFCu2g8g

Intel stock cooler is really bad, it has to ramp up in order to keep temps down. If temps are relatively low under load (sub 70C or so), you could try applying a lower fan curve, otherwise just buy a new cooler if it really bothers you. Hyper 212 Evo/Black go for $30-40 usually and will do a substantially better job (run cooler and quieter) than the stock cooler.

Reactions: rodrigojkrs

rodrigojkrs

Reputable
Jun 11, 2020
Intel stock cooler is really bad, it has to ramp up in order to keep temps down. If temps are relatively low under load (sub 70C or so), you could try applying a lower fan curve, otherwise just buy a new cooler if it really bothers you. Hyper 212 Evo/Black go for $30-40 usually and will do a substantially better job (run cooler and quieter) than the stock cooler.

Yes, but at this speed this isn't normal, in this video I was rendering with cinebench, but most of the time I'm not doing anything and this happens, my fans is in silent mode

rodrigojkrs

Reputable
Jun 11, 2020
So it ramps up occasionally on idle to this extent? I'd check temps and load level during those spikes.

Yes, Basically it happens in idle, when I'm turning off the pc it also speeds up and turns off, temperatures stay at 50C, I had an 8400 and the intel cooler stock didn't work that way, any program I open, it speeds up the cooler that way and goes back to normal, this isn't normal because the temperatures aren't high so it shouldn't happen, no matter what cooler you use, it happens

Yes, Basically it happens in idle, when I'm turning off the pc it also speeds up and turns off, temperatures stay at 50C, I had an 8400 and the intel cooler stock didn't work that way, any program I open, it speeds up the cooler that way and goes back to normal, this isn't normal because the temperatures aren't high so it shouldn't happen, no matter what cooler you use, it happens
Yeah, I'm not too sure on this one, sorry. Though I will say that I have this happen to me on my own cooler (though the fan on my cooler is much quieter), where on idle or opening some programs it just ramps up a little out of nowhere. As for the behavior during shutdown, I wouldn't worry too much about that specifically.

rodrigojkrs

Reputable
Jun 11, 2020
Yeah, I'm not too sure on this one, sorry. Though I will say that I have this happen to me on my own cooler (though the fan on my cooler is much quieter), where on idle or opening some programs it just ramps up a little out of nowhere. As for the behavior during shutdown, I wouldn't worry too much about that specifically.

I worry about that because I know it’s not working as it should, I suspect it could be 3 problems, CPU, Mobo or power supply, but Mobo is new so that would be my last bet, I used this power supply for a year and it never gave any problems, so I can't do other tests because I would need other hardware.

Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE 650W
MOBO: Gigabyte z390 Gaming X

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Intel stock cooler is made to keep cpu temps under 100 (ish) °C during normal activity. If it has to spin upto @ 4000 rpm to do so (like with a cinebench torture test) it will do so.

Got absolutely nothing to do with the motherboard, nothing to do with the psu or voltages (it's 12v pwm), has everything to do with the cpu temp and a really wimpy cooler.

rodrigojkrs

Reputable
Jun 11, 2020
The Intel stock cooler is made to keep cpu temps under 100 (ish) °C during normal activity. If it has to spin upto @ 4000 rpm to do so (like with a cinebench torture test) it will do so.

Got absolutely nothing to do with the motherboard, nothing to do with the psu or voltages (it's 12v pwm), has everything to do with the cpu temp and a really wimpy cooler.

As I said, no matter what cooler you use it speeds up, I already used a Gammax GTE and the problem is the same, just not so fast because it is another cooler, the temperature doesn't exceed 50C in the stress test I did on Aida64, and now this has started a new problem, my graphics card cannot rotate fans continuously, it just gives a pulse and stops, a pulse and stops

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many gpus have a eco mode, it's either a physical switch on the gpu itself or a software switch, and enabled by default. It shuts off the fans until it hits a predetermined temp then runs the fans until below threshold, shuts them off. Most gpus are in the 60-65° range.

rodrigojkrs

Reputable
Jun 11, 2020
Many gpus have a eco mode, it's either a physical switch on the gpu itself or a software switch, and enabled by default. It shuts off the fans until it hits a predetermined temp then runs the fans until below threshold, shuts them off. Most gpus are in the 60-65° range.

Yes, I understand that, I mean that when it reaches a certain temperature it doesn't run the fans continuously, it is as if it turns on and off at the same time, it isn't capable, it is as if it were a pulse effect

rodrigojkrs

Reputable
Jun 11, 2020
Ok. So you say they bump, not actually spin? Turn off the fanless mode, that's back to normal operation, they should spin constantly then if the gpu is active.

Exactly, but after a few minutes this normalizes, my graphics card will be sent to RMA, my current problem is about the CPU cooler, if you know any tests (CPU Test) I can do and post here to see if this is working normally

Last edited: