[SOLVED] i5 9600k Cooling

Mar 24, 2020
Im looking to upgrade from my ryzen 1600x to an intel i5 9600k and at the moment i am using a arctic liquid freezer 2 240mm will this be enough to cool the i5 9600k or do i need to upgrade the cooler

Solution
To answer your question, a 240 aio is more than enough to cool a 9600K.
What is the main purpose of this upgrade?
Gaming or batch apps?

What are the rest of your parts?

9600K is a very good upgrade for gaming where single thread performance is important. If you will use a Z motherboard, you can overclock.
To answer your question, a 240 aio is more than enough to cool a 9600K.
What is the main purpose of this upgrade?
Gaming or batch apps?

What are the rest of your parts?

9600K is a very good upgrade for gaming where single thread performance is important. If you will use a Z motherboard, you can overclock.

Solution
Im looking to upgrade from my ryzen 1600x to an intel i5 9600k and at the moment i am using a arctic liquid freezer 2 240mm will this be enough to cool the i5 9600k or do i need to upgrade the cooler

Adding to what others said, if you have a Ryzen 1600X, and it seems you need more single core performance, why going for a death platform and a no-HT CPU like the core i5 9600K, when you could probably update the motherboard BIOS and put in a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X?

Or, why not wait till october 8 when AMD launch Zen 3 and you may be able to get something equal to the i5 10600K for lowerish price?

Hell yes the liquid freezer 2 240mm will be enough to cool the i5-9600k. When I had that CPU I used a Corsair H60 to cool it and had absolutely no issues. The liquid freezer 2 240 is quite a step up from the H60 so you'll be good.

it will be used for gaming mostly
i heard the 9600k was incredible and its really good value for money

The i5 9600K is a great CPU, but we already have games were the lack of HT already show the limitations of this chip.
To put it simple, buying a 6 cores / 6 threads cpu at the end of 2020, is because you know for a fact that the games you play don't need and wont need more than those 6 cores, and you are not planing to play any of the newer games that really push over 6 cores. And of course the fact that the only worth it upgrade will be a Core i9 9900K, if you can find one at a reasonable price later on (Im guessing they will cost equal or more than gold in the next years hehehe).

Edit:
Just to make things clear, we already have plenty of games that push over 6 cores, and you can see this if you look at the 1% low FPS, which as a result of the limited amount of cores/threads giving worst results than those CPU with 6 cores / 12 threads or higher.
For me 1% lows is whats important, if what somehow indicate game smoothness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88