[SOLVED] I5 9600K OC @4.6GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2021
So I just overclocked my i5 9600k to 4.6 GHz at 1.26V, but CPU Z shows me it is at 1.248V, what causes that? Also, my idle temperature is at 45 C and 65 C while playing games like Cold War, and my ambient temperature is about 23 C is that okay?

Solution
So I just overclocked my i5 9600k to 4.6 GHz at 1.26V, but CPU Z shows me it is at 1.248V, what causes that? Also, my idle temperature is at 45 C and 65 C while playing games like Cold War, and my ambient temperature is about 23 C is that okay?
For 6 cores and such a voltage, this is a high temperature, but absolutely not critical. What LLC is installed in BIOS? I think for 4.6 GHz it will be possible to lower the voltage on the CPU. And you need good airflow inside the case.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Ive noticed my cpu voltage and frequency fluctuate depending on oad. Some games dont push it to max.
Maybe that your situation?

Alex Storm

Commendable
Mar 2, 2021
For 6 cores and such a voltage, this is a high temperature, but absolutely not critical. What LLC is installed in BIOS? I think for 4.6 GHz it will be possible to lower the voltage on the CPU. And you need good airflow inside the case.

Solution

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Oc i5 9600k on gigabyte z390M gaming

All 6 cores multiplier set to 48
Uncore set to 43

Voltage

Cpu VCore mode Auto
Cpu vcore 1,2v
Cpu vcore DVID Offset 0v
Gfx vcore mode Auto
Cpu Vaxg 1v
Cpu system agent 1.2v
Cpu vccio 1,2v
Dram voltage (ch a/b) 1,2v
Ddrvpp (ch a/b) 2,5v
Dram ch(a/b) termination 0,6v
Pch core 1v
Vcc substained 1,02v
Vccpll_oc 1,25v

This is set to clock all cores to 4,8ghz. If you want, change multipliers to 49. Check if it works for you

Mar 3, 2021
Oc i5 9600k on gigabyte z390M gaming

All 6 cores multiplier set to 48
Uncore set to 43

Voltage

Cpu VCore mode Auto
Cpu vcore 1,2v
Cpu vcore DVID Offset 0v
Gfx vcore mode Auto
Cpu Vaxg 1v
Cpu system agent 1.2v
Cpu vccio 1,2v
Dram voltage (ch a/b) 1,2v
Ddrvpp (ch a/b) 2,5v
Dram ch(a/b) termination 0,6v
Pch core 1v
Vcc substained 1,02v
Vccpll_oc 1,25v

This is set to clock all cores to 4,8ghz. If you want, change multipliers to 49. Check if it works for you
TY but Honestly I don't want to go past 4.6GHz as I don't need that much frequency. What voltage for 4.6GHz
would you recommend me though?

Last edited:

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
If you set it to 4.6 in the bios you didn't overclock anything since that is the turbo mark already.
From those temps I'm guessing you are clogged with dust, or have a case that just isn't flowing air as 65 C is rather high for not pushing the CPU at all , which is not good for overclocking if you ever do decide to try it.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Guys,

Numbers get flung around forums like gorilla poo in a cage. Comparing apples to oranges only makes thermal fruit salad in a blender. In order to draw any meaningful comparisons, we need to reduce the variables to their lowest common denominators. There are 3 major variables;

Environment
Software
Hardware

Ambient temperature (environment) should always be stated up front. If you don't say and we don't ask, then nobody knows if you live on the Arctic Circle where indoors might be 10°C (50°F), or the Equator where indoors might be 40°C (104°F). The International Standard for "normal" room temperature is 22°C (72°F). All PC temperatures increase and decrease with ambient room temperature, which can be a HUGE variable.

When comparing idle temperatures, is "idle" really idle? One user's "idle" might be another user's "light load". The definition of idle is 1% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager. Anything more is NOT idle. This means no programs running, and no streaming or surfing or Dropbox or Folding or SETI or "tray-trash" or screensaver running in the background, and off line, so the PC is undisturbed. If you don't state your idle conditions, then we have another HUGE variable.

The same is true of load conditions, which can also be a HUGE variable. "Full load" is a popular but non-specific user term which could mean anything, so it's important to be very specific. Games, apps, streaming, rendering, transcoding and “stress” test workloads vary widely . Core temperatures respond directly to Power consumption (Watts), which is driven by Core voltage and workload. The definition of "full load" is a steady-state 100% TDP workload, which is NOT the same as 100% CPU Utilization.

If we account for environment and software variables, then sorting out differences in BIOS settings such as Vcore and LLC, as well as hardware variables such as processors, coolers and cases becomes much easier to compare. If you want to learn how to properly check cooling performance, then look for our "sticky" at top of the CPUs forum, or just click on the link below in my signature.

CT:sol:

Reactions: Alex Storm
Status
Not open for further replies.