[SOLVED] i5 9600K OC crashes in TW3 - voltage fluctuates?

Lare111

Honorable
Mar 23, 2015
I overclocked my i5 9600K to 4.9Ghz using 1.29V vcore and LLC Turbo. It could run Realbench, AIDA64 FPU and Prime95 for hours without any problems. However when I'm playing The Witcher 3, it usually crahses during a light cutscene where CPU is almost idling and VCore is low! I even tried 1.32V but still crashed after 30 minutes. Is it possible that one game is so hard to run?

Also I noticed that I'm never reaching the VCore I set in the bios. I'm currently running 4.8Ghz and 1.3V and the highest voltage I've seen was 1.26V. No matter wheter CPU is idling or I'm torturing it with Prime95 the voltage stays between 1.2-1.26V. All Witcher 3 crashes happened during light cutscenes or when opening main menu so it shouldn't be caused by vdroop since CPU usage was low.

Any help getting more stable voltages and make Witcher 3 as stable as Prime95 and other stress tests?

Solution
If your HDD or SDD pulls, it could pull on the same rail as the cpu, thus causing issues with vdroop. If you are hitting your graphics card, especially loading ram, that can also cause vdroop.

Motherboards usually are not the best sensors for testing voltage. You should not take that with too much salt.

My recommendation...go up to 1.33v...see if that helps....
If your HDD or SDD pulls, it could pull on the same rail as the cpu, thus causing issues with vdroop. If you are hitting your graphics card, especially loading ram, that can also cause vdroop.

Motherboards usually are not the best sensors for testing voltage. You should not take that with too much salt.

My recommendation...go up to 1.33v...see if that helps....

Solution