[SOLVED] i5 9600k with 2933 mhz ram?

tom246

Prominent
Feb 4, 2019
Hi,
I am building a new pc with an i5 9600k, msi gaming plus z390 and 8gb of 2933 MHz ram. However when I was looking on intels website for the specs I saw that the cpus ram type is DDR4-2666. Does this mean I can't utilise the 2933 MHz? I heard XMP has something to do with this but I don't really understand XMP. Can I utilise the ram with the cpu and/or could some explain XMP.

Solution
With a Z series board, you can run the RAM @ higher than 2666. Your kit will default to 2666 on first boot, then go into the BIOS and select the proper XMP profile to get it up to 2933. Save changes and you won't have to worry about it again.

XMP is just a set of speed, timing, and voltage values that the mobo reads and implements. You can accomplish the same thing by manually setting everything, but it's more work.
With a Z series board, you can run the RAM @ higher than 2666. Your kit will default to 2666 on first boot, then go into the BIOS and select the proper XMP profile to get it up to 2933. Save changes and you won't have to worry about it again.

XMP is just a set of speed, timing, and voltage values that the mobo reads and implements. You can accomplish the same thing by manually setting everything, but it's more work.

Solution