[SOLVED] i5 9600k with Asus Prime z390-P board unable to overclock.

MrSomebody

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
So I got this board and cpu and life is good in general, untill I tried to take a look at OC world.
I must be the most unlucky person on planet earth, because whatever OC I apply, Im getting crashes and bluescreens.
Dont get me wrong, i am not shooting for the stars with expectations, but even trying to set this cpu on 4.8ghz and nothing, Nothing gets this stable. I bit the bullet and set multiplier on 45= blue screen.
Tried AI OC (of course it crashed hard).
Tried manually set per core/sync all cores/ manual voltage/ boost mode off/ limiters off/. Same result.
I have watched every video on youtube about z390 boards and cpus and even tried to follow step by step OC for i5 9600k on an msi z390 board, same result.
Now im not the one to point fingers here, but I suspect that something, somewhere, is not working as expected.
On a bright side, defaults (f5) always brings stuff back up and running. Ideas?
Its not that I need extra power, tbh this build plays and does everything I need, but I would want to see this mysterious OC at leastonce in my life, after spending years with i7 2600 before this upgrade.

System specs:
CPU- i5 9600k
CPU cooler: Evo 212 (open case build as well). Temps under load in stock doesnt go above 52 ).
Board: Asus Prime z390-p (newest bios update ,done today).
RAM: 2x8Gb Hyper X ddr4 3200mhz
GPU- Gigabyte 1080Ti
PSU- 600w EVGA.

Solution
I will check my cpu settings and pass it on. My oc is done by mobo software. It tunes itself according to temps. If i leave my fans on 100%, it sets it to 5ghz, but a bit noizy, so i keep it at 4.9

MrSomebody

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
model of this 600w evga?
try oc aat 4.0ghz

EVGA Alimentation ATX W1-600W <- This is the PSU I have.
Not keen on trying 4.0Ghz without knowing what am I doing wrong, or what settings I should use. To be fair, 4.8Ghz is only 200mhz above this CPUs boost clock, so it it cannot handle 200mhz, there must be either user error(me, and I dont deny that), or something else. What would 4Ghz OC prove? That it doesnt crash while within range of stock and boost?

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I will check my cpu settings and pass it on. My oc is done by mobo software. It tunes itself according to temps. If i leave my fans on 100%, it sets it to 5ghz, but a bit noizy, so i keep it at 4.9

Solution

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Oc i5 9600k on gigabyte z390M gaming

All 6 cores multiplier set to 48
Uncore set to 43

Voltage

Cpu VCore mode Auto
Cpu vcore 1,2v
Cpu vcore DVID Offset 0v
Gfx vcore mode Auto
Cpu Vaxg 1v
Cpu system agent 1.2v
Cpu vccio 1,2v
Dram voltage (ch a/b) 1,2v
Ddrvpp (ch a/b) 2,5v
Dram ch(a/b) termination 0,6v
Pch core 1v
Vcc substained 1,02v
Vccpll_oc 1,25v

This is set to clock all cores to 4,8ghz. If you want, change multipliers to 49. Check if it works for you

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
I have given up at the moment, as trying to set vcore on 1.31 and even 4.7 gives a crash. Guess its stock life for me from this point on.
There is such a thing as a "silicon lottery" and each processor requires individual tuning. Your CPU is apparently not very good. Without fear, you can set the CPU voltage to 1.35 and even 1.38 to bring it to 4.9 GHz on all cores. Blue screen because there is not enough voltage. For such overclocking, I would recommend the be quiet! DARK ROCK 4

TRENDING THREADS