i5 Kaby Lake $/Value

Solution

In that use, not even a little bit.

My HTPC just changed from a Pentium G840, 4GB AM to an i5-3570k, 16GB RAM.
Amazingly, movies and music do not play any faster...:lol:

Now...add in the Photoshop aspect....again, you will NOT see any difference with that 300MHz.
I find the I5 non K 7xxx chips to be in nowhere land.
I3-4620@3.7 at half the price will game very well.

OTOH, a I5-7600K at $20 more than a i5-7600@3.5 can be overclocked by some 25% which is as good as it gets for gaming.

FWIW 5.5 is not realistic.
As of 1/13/17
What percent of samples can get an overclock
at a vcore around 1.4v.
I5-7600K
5.1 28%
5.0 52%
4.9 72%

You're probably right. 5.5 may be a bit overboard BUT when pushed to the limits it can reach 5 Ghz.
To be honest, after seeing Asus overclock the 7700K to 7.3 Ghz I stopped believing in what's possible.

USAFRet

Titan

5.5GHz?
Sure, if you're looking for some magic number, for a seriously short term test, and backed up by a major cooling effort.
You might see that. Maybe.

For actual day to day use? Not.

You are looking at enthusiast benchmarking using ln2 cooling.
Entirely impractical for daily use. And... once you run much over 1.4v vcore the chip will not last long.

One thing there, overclocking doesn't drastically affect lifespan so long as you don't do something silly like run it at 1.6v, anything up to 1.5v (which you won't hit anyway) will run without issue, with little affect on lifespan.
The CPU will be long since irrelevant before this voltage takes any form of effect, in addition the chip is selected based on ASIC quality, and how well it can handle voltages in contrast with performance. They're designed for it.

My brother is still running my old 2700k with a 4.6GHz OC, no issues at all.

Obviously not. And no one is willing to spend 40k on liquid helium either. But I still thought it was quite interesting.
Although I should mention, that overclocking with a 7700K is a breeze. Mine goes to 5.2 Ghz no sweat.

USAFRet

Titan

If "pushed to the limits" gets you 5.0, don't promote "5.5GHz" as an easy thing to do.

Some people out here kinda actually know, and will call you out on stuff like this.

USAFRet

Titan

Well...since he does not yet own it, probably not.

However...someone in the near future will come across this thread, and figure that 5.5GHz is automagically doable.

Well lets just hope that they read the entire thread.
And who says they can't? All they need is about 100 L of liquid helium and a 7700K to dispose of. ;)

thirdeye22

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
I'm just wondering if the extra 300mhz would even be noticeable. Using it as an overkill htpc, want 4 cores so I'm not limited in what I can do on it (i.e handbrake, photoshop) max budget is the 7600 ($299 CAD)

USAFRet

Titan

In that use, not even a little bit.

My HTPC just changed from a Pentium G840, 4GB AM to an i5-3570k, 16GB RAM.
Amazingly, movies and music do not play any faster...:lol:

Now...add in the Photoshop aspect....again, you will NOT see any difference with that 300MHz.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS