[SOLVED] I5 to i9 BSOD

Nov 25, 2020
I have an MSI Z390 mother board. I just upgraded the CPU from a i5 9600 to a i9 9900K. Works good but it seems when i play a graphics intense game for a while I get the Blue screen shut down, that never happened to the i5. Could it be that it needs a bios update? But it works fine. I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
A bios update is likely to be needed to run a 9900K.
CPU-Z will tell you what you have.
Check the msi site for your specific motherboard and look at the bios downloads.
At some point, the description will have the starting bios level for 9900K support.
There may be added levels to improve stability.
Whatever, if you are not current, get current.

What is your case and cpu cooler?
9900K will run hot.
Run HWmonitor.
It will give you the minimum, current and max temperatures for the cpu.
I expect the minimum to be 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
If you see a max of 100c. the cpu has probably shut down to protect itself.
I have an MSI Z390 mother board. I just upgraded the CPU from a i5 9600 to a i9 9900K. Works good but it seems when i play a graphics intense game for a while I get the Blue screen shut down, that never happened to the i5. Could it be that it needs a bios update? But it works fine. I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
May need bios update or old processor infor cleared

The i9-9900K runs significantly hotter and requires more power than the i5-9600.

I would first check your temperatures with a utility like HWiNFO. After you install it, run it with 'Sensors Only' option and check CPU temps while just in Windows. Leave it running and bring up a game and play for just a little bit, then exit the game, hopefully before it blue screens. HWiNFO should show you the current, minimum, and maximum temperatures of your CPUs.

Also, what exact motherboard do you have, make and model? Also what is your PSU?

A bios update is likely to be needed to run a 9900K.
CPU-Z will tell you what you have.
Check the msi site for your specific motherboard and look at the bios downloads.
At some point, the description will have the starting bios level for 9900K support.
There may be added levels to improve stability.
Whatever, if you are not current, get current.

What is your case and cpu cooler?
9900K will run hot.
Run HWmonitor.
It will give you the minimum, current and max temperatures for the cpu.
I expect the minimum to be 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
If you see a max of 100c. the cpu has probably shut down to protect itself.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you check your support page for the motherboard, under 'CPU support' it will tell you exactly what BIOS you have to be on.
I second heat. Open the case and blow a fan in while attempting to perform what blue screens the machine and see if that changes. The VRM are going to be FAR hotter with this chip.