i5 vs fx 8320

the day b4 2moro

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Hi guys, just wondering if it's worth upgrading from an 8320 to an i5 4690k for gaming now/future. I only recently got the amd but it my friend had pretty much the same gpu and am i5 but gets more fps then me in pretty much every game, although benchmarks say he should get like 2 frames more than me, so is it worth upgrading, newer games are probably going to use more cores because of the consoles, so what do u think?
Thanks in advance

Have you overclocked your 8320?

Its a tough call as next generation games are supposed to utilize more cores so in hopes/theory the 8320 could actually be better in the future then an i5 for gaming.

As things set right now, yes the i5 is better in both single thread and multi-threaded programs (since most multi-threaded programs are not coded to utilize 8 cores).

What I would do is OC the 8320 for now, and if still unhappy in a year or two upgrade then. At that point skylake will be out, and ddr4 will be phasing out ddr3 memory. Then the upgrade will be even more substantial.

crispytheone

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
The I5 is better, but the 8320 is no dog, the I5 will always get more frames, You can overclock if you feel its really hampering your gaming, but really, I would hold off, wait till Intel releases their new stuff, and even maybe when AMD does next year, THEN upgrade with the next gen hardware