Question i7-10700 temperatures unusual behaviour - overvoltage maybe?

Fect123

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
specs: https://prnt.sc/zuwzfe

My CPU idles around 39-56c and the temperature can immediately shoot up to around 65c if i do basic things like moving my mouse across the screen a few times or opening a program. While gaming, it gets around 70-ish & can randomly spike up to 78+, and one time 86c, which is strange because its never even reached above 83 before.

so far, i'm thinking its voltage related. although i'm using stock intel cooler, i don't think its a cooling issue. Even if i use aggressive fan curves, the temperature behaviour still happens.

Hey there,

Well, firstly the spike in temps up 10c and back down when you move your mouse, or open a basic app is normal. Don't forget you have an 8 core CPU, so the temp will fluctuate as Windows distributes tasks across all cores.

With that said, your temps in general are on the high side.

Typically you should be about here:
Idle -30-35
Gaming 45-70
Stress testing 70-80c.

These are just rough guides of course.

As you highlighted, I would put this down to the stock cooler. They are barely able to handle the chip at default TDP, and once those chips boost, the power usage goes up, and with it temps. Even with changing the fan curve there's only so much heat those coolers can dissipate. So that won't necessarily be sufficient to have temps in a normal range.

I'd suggest just getting a decent cooler for your new CPU.

You can of course check/observe the voltage on the fly using HWMon/Info. If you post a screenshot of it here after a game. We can see max/min values for the voltage, and see if there's anything strange going on.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Fect123

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
Hey there,

Well, firstly the spike in temps up 10c and back down when you move your mouse, or open a basic app is normal. Don't forget you have an 8 core CPU, so the temp will fluctuate as Windows distributes tasks across all cores.

With that said, your temps in general are on the high side.

Typically you should be about here:
Idle -30-35
Gaming 45-70
Stress testing 70-80c.

These are just rough guides of course.

As you highlighted, I would put this down to the stock cooler. They are barely able to handle the chip at default TDP, and once those chips boost, the power usage goes up, and with it temps. Even with changing the fan curve there's only so much heat those coolers can dissipate. So that won't necessarily be sufficient to have temps in a normal range.

I'd suggest just getting a decent cooler for your new CPU.

You can of course check/observe the voltage on the fly using HWMon/Info. If you post a screenshot of it here after a game. We can see max/min values for the voltage, and see if there's anything strange going on.
https://prnt.sc/zwcs72 here is all of the values after a few hours of gaming

temperature can immediately shoot up to around 65c if i do basic things like moving my mouse across the screen a few times
-that shouldn't really happen (unless you use some special (read: strange) mouse driver. In general, reading out mouse state (position/buttons) uses extremely low resources. Maybe some other software is running in background which reacts to mouse movements.
And if I may add.. stock cooler is very poor performer.

Just sharing my opinion

Fect123

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
-that shouldn't really happen (unless you use some special (read: strange) mouse driver. In general, reading out mouse state (position/buttons) uses extremely low resources. Maybe some other software is running in background which reacts to mouse movements.
And if I may add.. stock cooler is very poor performer.

Just sharing my opinion
https://prnt.sc/zzfmeg device manager shows multiple of the same device, idk if that'd cause it or if thats just previously connected ones

device manager shows multiple of the same device...
-I don't think that matters. On my PC I have two mouse "devices" listed (HID-compliant mouse + Microsoft PS/2 Mouse) even I'm using basic $10 wired mouse since ever.
What I would do in your case is, I would try to uninstall Razer mouse software. Yes, in this case you might lose some mouse features, but at least you will know if that is causing the issue or is something else.
And again, think about getting better CPU cooler.. :)

specs: https://prnt.sc/zuwzfe

My CPU idles around 39-56c and the temperature can immediately shoot up to around 65c if i do basic things like moving my mouse across the screen a few times or opening a program. While gaming, it gets around 70-ish & can randomly spike up to 78+, and one time 86c, which is strange because its never even reached above 83 before.

so far, i'm thinking its voltage related. although i'm using stock intel cooler, i don't think its a cooling issue. Even if i use aggressive fan curves, the temperature behaviour still happens.

The spiking temp behavior is normal with a cpu using boost...the issue you have is the stock cooler is reaching heat saturation quickly and starts to overheat under constant use which can lead to throttling.

I'd replace it with an 280mm AIO or a good tower air cooler.