[SOLVED] i7 10700k or Ryzen 7 3800x

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone here could help me decide what to choose between these 2.

I'm using i5-7600k right now paired with a GTX 1070 and recently, a friend of mine gifted me a 1440p 144hz monitor.

I use my PC mainly for gaming and now I'm experiencing the bottleneck of my CPU hitting 100% almost all the time when playing COD Modern Warfare and giving me the annoying stutters. I haven't had this problem before since I only play at 1080p 60hz with vsync, but now whenever the game goes 75fps+ I'm screwed.
I tried locking the FPS to 60 but its not enjoyable anymore since I had the taste of high refresh rates.

I had my processor eversince 7th gen was released and fortunately, I was able to save up on the past years and i could afford either of the 2 that I mentioned but since there are mixed recommendations everywhere, I can't make up my mind.

I OC my CPU all time and I love the high clocks of Intel, however Ryzen is known for their backward compatibility motherboards which could help me save a lot when upgrading (specially that Ryzen 4000 is expected to be released this year)

PS: If Nvidia releases their cards this year, i'll be getting their 3080 variant immediately (non-Ti)

Thanks in advance and more power!

Last edited:
Solution
If you are looking towards a 3xxx series graphics card and a top end build, buy a i7-10700K
Read some reviews.
Here is one:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-10700k/16.html

As to compatibility, the truth is that most will upgrade their motherboard whenever they upgrade the cpu. You could have, for instance upgraded to a i7-7700K on your current motherboard.

Buy what you need now.
The future will always bring new and better products.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have a custom loop on my current setup so does this mean that if I'm going to choose Ryzen, the max boost clock will be higher and/or stable?
Not the advertised max boost clock, but the all core one.
With light loads, there are few threads active, and those threads easily boost to the advertised max on their own. It's the heavy loads where these cpus will try to boost UP TO said max across all active threads depending on thermal headroom.

If you'd rather deal with the traditional Intel OC, then just go that route.

D

Deleted member 1560910

10700 is cheaper and good option if you dont want to over clock. I would touch anything from AMD right

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Not the advertised max boost clock, but the all core one.
With light loads, there are few threads active, and those threads easily boost to the advertised max on their own. It's the heavy loads where these cpus will try to boost UP TO said max across all active threads depending on thermal headroom.

If you'd rather deal with the traditional Intel OC, then just go that route.

Thanks for the input! Since OCing is my thing and I've read the opinions of other people in this thread, I think I'll go for Intel. I guess even if I save some money if I go for Ryzen, but if I'm not happy on the clocks that I'm getting I might regret it eventually. I know this chip is hot and eats a lot of power, but I'm confident that I have more than enough cooling power to manage it and I always go for performance over efficiency.

Reactions: RodroX and Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the input! Since OCing is my thing and I've read the opinions of other people in this thread, I think I'll go for Intel. I guess even if I save some money if I go for Ryzen, but if I'm not happy on the clocks that I'm getting I might regret it eventually. I know this chip is hot and eats a lot of power, but I'm confident that I have more than enough cooling power to manage it and I always go for performance over efficiency.
It's good that you know the difference!
Overclocking is a hobby, not a feature, and should be treated as such.

Reactions: brendz1993