Question i7-12700KF is throttling at ~70C ?

Jul 1, 2024
Hi guys!

I have i7-12700KF with DEEPCOOL AK 400 as a cooling, and in idle it goes around 35C, while gaming it goes around 70-75C, but when I run benchmark it gives me great results for first 10 seconds, after that it automatically lowers wattage when it is around 65C, and results drop in around 30% depending on the benchmark software. Does anyone know why this happens?

Specs:
Motherboard - AsRock B760M HDV/M.2
GPU - XFX RX 6750 XT
CPU - 17-12700KF
CPU Cooler - DEEPCOOL AK 400
RAM - 2x32 DDR4 3200MT/s
PSU - MWE 750 WHITE V2

@Ford3231
Run HWiNFO while testing and watch the Limit Reasons data. HWiNFO will tell you why your CPU is throttling. Power or current limit throttling are the two most common problems. You should be able to increase the turbo power limits in the BIOS. If you cannot find these settings, run ThrottleStop and press the TPL button to access these settings.

@Ford3231
Run HWiNFO while testing and watch the Limit Reasons data. HWiNFO will tell you why your CPU is throttling. Power or current limit throttling are the two most common problems. You should be able to increase the turbo power limits in the BIOS. If you cannot find these settings, run ThrottleStop and press the TPL button to access these settings.
Don't call it problem unless it actually gets confirmed to be one.
If it follows the proper turbo guidelines then it's not a problem, unless you consider a CPU that is not overclocked a problem.

Jul 1, 2024
@Ford3231
Hm, how can I run and see with HWiNFO the problem is it? I haven't use it use

Additional info: I just tracked the wattage of CPU, and when it goes beyond 135W, it drops wattage by a half.

Don't call it problem unless it actually gets confirmed to be one.

I just tracked the wattage of CPU, and when it goes beyond 135W, it drops wattage by a half.
That confirms that you have a problem. Are you sure you have a 12700KF installed? Post a screenshot of CPU-Z to confirm what CPU you have. The 12700F has a 65W TDP power rating. The 12700KF should be significantly higher. If your computer set the long term PL1 turbo power limit to 65W, your computer will throttle significantly like it is doing now.

Increasing the turbo power limits can significantly increase performance but some consider that running the CPU beyond its Intel spec. Intel leaves the turbo power limits unlocked so manufacturers or end users can change these limits. It is your CPU. You paid for it. You can decide to run it however you like.

If you want your computer to run faster than it is running now or if you want a better understanding of why your computer is running like it is, try running,

ThrottleStop 9.6

Post screenshots of the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows. This will show how the BIOS has setup your CPU. If you really do have a KF processor then maybe the BIOS made a mistake. The power limits might be set too low. If you take a screenshot of the main window with the Limit Reasons window open while your computer is throttling, that will show the reason for throttling. PL1 or PL2 lighting up red in ThrottleStop Limit Reasons indicates a power limit is the reason for throttling. The main ThrottleStop screen will show power consumption and CPU speed while throttling is happening.

Use www.imgur.com or a similar site to host screenshots.

If you are using HWiNFO instead of ThrottleStop, you can find the Limit Reasons data when you display the Sensors information. HWiNFO can only be used to monitor your CPU. The advantage of ThrottleStop is it allows you to monitor as well as make changes to your CPU's power limits in real time without having to reboot.

WBc8tDS.png

Jul 1, 2024
That confirms that you have a problem. Are you sure you have a 12700KF installed? Post a screenshot of CPU-Z to confirm what CPU you have. The 12700F has a 65W TDP power rating. The 12700KF should be significantly higher. If your computer set the long term PL1 turbo power limit to 65W, your computer will throttle significantly like it is doing now.

Increasing the turbo power limits can significantly increase performance but some consider that running the CPU beyond its Intel spec. Intel leaves the turbo power limits unlocked so manufacturers or end users can change these limits. It is your CPU. You paid for it. You can decide to run it however you like.

If you want your computer to run faster than it is running now or if you want a better understanding of why your computer is running like it is, try running,

ThrottleStop 9.6

Post screenshots of the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows. This will show how the BIOS has setup your CPU. If you really do have a KF processor then maybe the BIOS made a mistake. The power limits might be set too low. If you take a screenshot of the main window with the Limit Reasons window open while your computer is throttling, that will show the reason for throttling. PL1 or PL2 lighting up red in ThrottleStop Limit Reasons indicates a power limit is the reason for throttling. The main ThrottleStop screen will show power consumption and CPU speed while throttling is happening.

Use www.imgur.com or a similar site to host screenshots.

If you are using HWiNFO instead of ThrottleStop, you can find the Limit Reasons data when you display the Sensors information. HWiNFO can only be used to monitor your CPU. The advantage of ThrottleStop is it allows you to monitor as well as make changes to your CPU's power limits in real time without having to reboot.

WBc8tDS.png
Thanks for answer!

I checked it, and yeah, I have Max Turbo Limit turned on. My Long Term Power Limit is 65W, and Short Term Power Limit is 125W.

I tried to change it in BIOS, but maximum power for Long Term Limit is 75W, and Short Term Power Limit is 135W. With that settings, I tried benchmark again, and it lasts little bit longer, it sometimes exceeds 135W power limit, and goes to 140-145W, but it is maximum, and again, it drops later.

Also my Intel XTU is disabled for some reason, so I can't try to change power limit from there too.

Is it dangerous to go more than 65W for LT, and 125W for ST limit?

Have a nice day!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Long term limit on the chip should be 125W with a max of 190W by the Intel specs.

B760 board will lack certain settings since it is a locked board and it may not allow you to go further then what a typical locked chip can do. Naked board without heatsinks on the VRMs either. Only a 5+1+1 phase board, so they really limit you to protect the motherboard.

Here are the Intel specs for a 12700KF.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...700kf-processor-25m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

The Processor Base Power is listed as 125W. This is the maximum power the CPU should consume when turbo boost is disabled and the processor is running at its Base Frequency.

Processor Base Power

The time-averaged power dissipation that the processor is validated to not exceed during manufacturing while executing an Intel-specified high complexity workload at Base Frequency and at the junction temperature as specified in the Datasheet for the SKU segment and configuration.

Maximum Turbo Power is 190W.

If the motherboard is not capable of fully powering a 12700KF then ASRock should have mentioned this. Trying to run your CPU at 125W or higher might cause the voltage regulators to overheat or it could cause VR current throttling. There are a lot better B760 boards available.

Try running ThrottleStop and post a screenshot of the TPL window. The Turbo Power Limit register in the CPU has likely been locked by the BIOS.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2024
If the motherboard is not capable of fully powering a 12700KF then ASRock should have mentioned this. Trying to run your CPU at 125W or higher might cause the voltage regulators to overheat or it could cause VR current throttling.
So, can I damage my motherboard if I set Long Term Limit more than 135W with ThrottleStop?

This is ThrottleStop TPL window screenshot.

Last edited:
@Ford3231
Those yellow lock icons on the left side of the ThrottleStop TPL window confirms that the BIOS has locked the power limit control register. You would need a modified BIOS to unlock the power control register. Your motherboard is not suitable for your unlocked K series CPU.

Jul 1, 2024
@Ford3231
Those yellow lock icons on the left side of the ThrottleStop TPL window confirms that the BIOS has locked the power limit control register. You would need a modified BIOS to unlock the power control register. Your motherboard is not suitable for your unlocked K series CPU.
Any suggestions for upgrade? How can I know that before buying?

Thanks a lot for letting me know!