Question RTX 2080 Ti - Black Screen after updating drivers

Jul 3, 2024
I have a RTX 2080 Ti and before installing a new Windows 11, I used Windows 10.
Specs are:
- MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus
- Ryzen 3600
- RTX 2080 Ti

PSU: Corsair RM650

A day ago I tried to play Talos Principle 2 for the first time. However, the game crashed my PC and the event log showed some errors regarding to the graphic cards and its driver. Because of that I looked for the newest driver and installed it. After installing the new driver I only got a black screen when booting up Windows. I thought it might be a Windows problem and booted into a dual boot linux which also resulted in a black screen. (I did not boot up Linux for a long time, but it usually just works.)

When booting into a USB Linux Distro or into the Windows Installer the video output works like a charm. Therefore I removed all non-relevant drives and installed a completely fresh copy of Windows 11. Booting into Windows works, but only with really bad resolution because of it uses "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

When running updates, it installs a NVIDIA display driver, which during installation results in a black screen. I also tried different versions directly from the NVIDIA Driver site, as well as install drivers trough GeForce Experience, but it all resulted in a black screen.
Currently I'm testing with an old graphics card, which even with drivers seems to work just fine.

Any tips for further diagnosis?
I'm hoping that there is something that can be done, because the card is able to create output (However only without the drivers??).

Last edited: