[SOLVED] I7 2600 Second generation not working with gtx 970.

Entopian

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Currently, I have an i7 2600 working with a gtx 650 but every time I tried to upgrade to a gtx 970 it does not work the guy at the store told me something in the processor was not compatible with newer graphics card would there be a way to make it compatible?

Solution
Likely a bios issue, not a cpu issue. The 970 you have probably requires A UEFI compatible bios and many OEM systems never provided a bios update to add UEFI support. Not much you can do except get a card that supports a legacy bios, replace the motherboard for a retail model that has a UEFI update, or upgrade to a newer platform.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your motherboard, PSU, rams and storage? Might want to also mention the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model. Might want to see if you can get your system running with your older card, then see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates pending. I suspect your PSU lacks enough juice for the entire system with a GT970 populating the PCIe slot.

Entopian

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Make and model of your motherboard, PSU, rams and storage? Might want to also mention the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model. Might want to see if you can get your system running with your older card, then see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates pending. I suspect your PSU lacks enough juice for the entire system with a GT970 populating the PCIe slot.
Hi sorry about the slow response Had to find a micro HDMI cable to display my older PC to find the specs.

HP Pavillion hpe h8-11-24
motherboard is 2AC2 Baseboard version 2.00
PSU Is 600W Thermal take.
8GB DDR 3 Ram
I7 2600

I Replaced the power supply and installed a gtx 650 and currently, the computer works fine. But when I add a gtx 970 the computer would not boot or had a black screen it's been a long time since I attempted the install so it is hard for me to remember. Also the PSU was new when I attempted the 970 install.

bignastyid

Titan
Likely a bios issue, not a cpu issue. The 970 you have probably requires A UEFI compatible bios and many OEM systems never provided a bios update to add UEFI support. Not much you can do except get a card that supports a legacy bios, replace the motherboard for a retail model that has a UEFI update, or upgrade to a newer platform.

Solution

Entopian

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Hi sorry about the slow response Had to find a micro HDMI cable to display my older PC to find the specs.

HP Pavillion hpe h8-11-24
motherboard is 2AC2 Baseboard version 2.00
PSU Is 600W Thermal take.
8GB DDR 3 Ram
I7 2600

I Replaced the power supply and installed a gtx 650 and currently, the computer works fine. But when I add a gtx 970 the computer would not boot or had a black screen it's been a long time since I attempted the install so it is hard for me to remember. Also the PSU was new when I attempted the 970 install.
So all I have to do is replace the motherboard with a newer one and it would be compatible with both the gtx 970 and i7 2600? Also do you have a recommendation of a motherboard that is cheap and would be compatible?

alexvdm

Commendable
Jul 15, 2020
So all I have to do is replace the motherboard with a newer one and it would be compatible with both the gtx 970 and i7 2600? Also do you have a recommendation of a motherboard that is cheap and would be compatible?
its complicated to recomend on such old proccesors, but you can search reviews, and here's a list of all compatible motherboards, https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=nvyFf7, search for the one that suits you the best, (and that has uefi support as he said)