i7 2600k temperature is gone crazy.

Shoueki

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I got a new i7 2600k processor for christmas, i installed it and used ZP thermal compound, installing the processor and grease and putting back on my water cooler was easy. Got approxmiately 40C idling temps, and about 50C when gaming at max. I for one thought those temperatures where fine! I have an Alienware Aroura R3, so i do not know what kind of water cooler i have, but i am aware this cooler never needs to be maintained. So 2 nights ago i said, the fans are very loud, so i put my hand to the back of the fans and the air was searing hot. I was hitting 80C temperatures while playing Flight Simulator X, my i7 2600k has never been overclocked. So i changed the thermal paste with Jetart nano diamond paste, which is said to be quite good. And now after reinstalling it, i am still getting searing high temperatures, i ran a stress test and it hit 94C! when i am idling i get 38 - 42C and when gaming it immediately spikes to 60 - 65C! 75C even! The pc is not being stressed either! Do u think its a thermal paste problem? Perhaps i have added to much when applying it? the water cooler is screwed down to max.

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
The fact that the "Searing heat" is being delivered to the radiator indicates that you have a good connection to the CPU and that you have good thermal transfer going on. Therefore I believe that you have no problems with your paste application.

However, I believe that your new CPU likely consumes more energy and produces more heat than the original CPU did. Dell is well known for delivering a given spec for a very low cost. One way to do this is to not designing or deliver any spare capacity for a given solution.
In other words; I am guessing that your existing cooling solution was designed to dissipate less heat than it currently is, and that you are overloading it somewhat.

I think your only option is to somehow get more, cooler, air flowing through the radiator.
Can you add a second fan on the outside (make it a push/pull configuration)?
Can you add case fan(s) at the front/bottom to draw in more cool air into the case?

Worst case scenario you could buy a water cooler having a higher capacity (larger) radiator and run with the rad hanging outside the case somehow.

Shoueki

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
But now with the new paste on, and when it hits 70 ish degrees the air is still cool coming out the back! This since the new thermal paste was added. It never was a problem until the other night, and the cooler is working fine, u can feel it when its running...