[SOLVED] i7 3770 best pair gpu

May 13, 2020
hi everyone
new and still learning to build pc, i have a hand-me-down pc from a friend

i have a i7 3770 with gigabyte h61m-ds2 rev 2.2, 8gb ram, DE-500 psu having a gpu of gigabyte gtx 1050ti

what would you suggest will be the best upgrade for my gpu? other tips to improve the set will be appreciated

Solution
There is no such thing as a "best pair" of a GPU to a CPU.

It is more dependent on:
  • monitor resolution
  • monitor refresh rate
  • does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • what specific games are you playing?

One quick example - at 1280x720 resolution at 60Hz refresh, the 1050ti is plenty. Leave everything else the same, and bump the resolution up to 1920x1080, and it's going to struggle a bit and you'll have to turn down details. Run it at 4K resolution, and you'll bring the card to its knees.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
There is no such thing as a "best pair" of a GPU to a CPU.

It is more dependent on:
  • monitor resolution
  • monitor refresh rate
  • does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • what specific games are you playing?

One quick example - at 1280x720 resolution at 60Hz refresh, the 1050ti is plenty. Leave everything else the same, and bump the resolution up to 1920x1080, and it's going to struggle a bit and you'll have to turn down details. Run it at 4K resolution, and you'll bring the card to its knees.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's correct - but a triple-A first person shooter would require a heftier GPU to run 144fps at max details... assuming that's what you want to do.

Frankly, I wouldn't run it higher than 100fps. Pretty much any solid evidence I can find suggests that the human limit is a little under that.