Question i7 3770 bottleneck GTX 1080?

mr_boggle

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
Hi guys!

Im planning on upgrading my rig to a GTX 1080 to replace my 970. Its still good but I want better frames in the games i play (mostly COD MW2019 and preparing for FS2020 and Doom Eternal) at 1080p and Im thinking of going 1440p in the near future.
I currently run a i5 3470 and Im thinking of upgrading to a 3770 to minimise bottlenecks with Pascal cards. Should I just keep running my i5 or upgrade? A definite upgrade very soon is a new CPU cooler, Im thinking either Cryorig M9i or putting my locked CPU under liquid. Any suggestions?
Thanks

PC SPECS:
Core i5 3470
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked
12GB DDR3 1600 (8GB Corsair XM3, 4GB Dell OEM from dads old PC -> may upgrade 16GB)
Asus P8H61-I (I think)
Corsair CX650m
2x 1TB HDD Caviar Blue

Hi man

Here are a few considerations;

GPU:
Your i5 will bottleneck the 1080, but that is no issue

Even with the" bottleneck", you will still get better graphics then your 970 would churn out
Also if you upgrade your rig, the gpu can move with, so no loss there

If you get a 1080, a new monitor might be needed to fully benefit from your upgrade

CPU:
If it costs 50 euro or less i'd upgrade to the i7 3770 this should carry you for another year depending on your usecase

Getting a new rig would be much better but more expensive
e.g. second gen ryzen is cheap and more powerful but require you to buy new components
But it would be the better option by far

In the end, that question is up to you

COOLER:
I don't see why you would change the cooler?
Your stock cooler should be adequate to cool your i5
I would check paste and whether it's properly mounted if it gives you grief

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Let's focus on 1080p for the moment.
For the time being, no one knows how FS and Doom Eternal will run - obviously, since they're not finished... I'll look at COD:MW instead.
If this were for the single player Campaign Mode, the GTX 1080 would be the best move - but all anyone cares about with COD is the multiplayer, and for that, the cpu is the way to go.

Are you working with a tight budget? I ask, because you're considering an I7-3770 as a cpu upgrade; I wouldn't pay more than 70USD for one of those 2nd hand.

putting my locked CPU under liquid.
Forget about doing this. Locked cpus are not worth putting under liquid. Too pricey for no real gain.

That's also an odd ram config and I'm curious if the motherboard is running in single or dual channel. Download and run Cpu-Z: https://www.cpuid.com/
Click on the Memory tab. What does it say on Channel#?

mr_boggle

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
Hi man

Here are a few considerations;

GPU:
Your i5 will bottleneck the 1080, but that is no issue

Even with the" bottleneck", you will still get better graphics then your 970 would churn out
Also if you upgrade your rig, the gpu can move with, so no loss there

If you get a 1080, a new monitor might be needed to fully benefit from your upgrade

CPU:
If it costs 50 euro or less i'd upgrade to the i7 3770 this should carry you for another year depending on your usecase

Getting a new rig would be much better but more expensive
e.g. second gen ryzen is cheap and more powerful but require you to buy new components
But it would be the better option by far

In the end, that question is up to you

COOLER:
I don't see why you would change the cooler?
Your stock cooler should be adequate to cool your i5
I would check paste and whether it's properly mounted if it gives you grief

Ive been thinking of a new Ryzen 5 2600 based rig to build but it would cost me roughly $1000 australian. I'll use the hard drives and psu I already have but since I am saving up for a car and flying lessons I decided to just stick with what my motherboard can support to save money. And I just want to upgrade my cooler just to future proof it and possibly get better thermals. I have no problems with the stock cooler though I just want better temps.

but yeah thanks for the pointers Ill take them into consideration. Alternatively I may also go with a 1070ti if its cheaper. The performance even though is worse than the 1080 but the performance still looks like it would last me 5 more years or so

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Our Aussie dollar sucks and wouldn't spend on anything new right now unless there's a bargain or can afford it. An i7 3770 would be a pretty decent upgrade over the i5.

I don't think Doom Eternal will be significantly more demanding than Doom 2016, but we'll have to see. Vulkan API is pretty easy on the system though in general.

I tested Doom 2016 with HT on and off. On my 2600k with HT off with high frame rates caused 100% cpu usage and a stutter every minute. HT on, usage dropped to 80ish and no stutters.

Reactions: Phaaze88