[SOLVED] i7-3770 high thermals - 212, delid or lap?

Apr 14, 2020
Hello. I have not tinkered with PCs in a decade since I built my i5 rig.
I recently purchased a refurbished i7-3770 (non-K) and have been running @ 4.3mHz , but measuring with RealTemp, I average about 60C under workday use, with prime95 pushing it 90+.
(I hit 4.4 @ 1.3v but temps pegged at 100+, and it throttled back.)
The system, however, has been stable during all testing & voltages so far, never crashing and only using the stock cooler..
My questions:
  • What temperatures should I be looking for?
  • Will a Hyper 212 provide enough cooling to drop the temperatures apropriately w/out much noise?
  • Would I benefit from deliding the chip as it is old or lapping?
Thank you!

asus-p8z77-v-lk
16g 1600mhz RAM
250 SSD OS drive
Sapphire rx 5500xt
Antec Eco 650w

Last edited:
Solution
Fellow i7-3770 (non-K) overclocker here.

Sounds like you're increasing the BCLK also and not just the +4 multi?

Yes a 212 EVO (or Black) will provide enough cooling.

1.3V seems high. At the standard 4.3GHz (that's a single core) what is the lowest voltage that's stable?

Prime 95 runs an AVX work load by default. That puts an unusual amount of stress on any CPU, driving temps higher than you'll see running anything realistic. There's a small check box at the bottom of the stress test screen to disable AVX before you run the test.

Delidding almost always provides temp benefits. I don't think you need to jump to that since you're still on the stock Intel cooler... one step at a time.
Fellow i7-3770 (non-K) overclocker here.

Sounds like you're increasing the BCLK also and not just the +4 multi?

Yes a 212 EVO (or Black) will provide enough cooling.

1.3V seems high. At the standard 4.3GHz (that's a single core) what is the lowest voltage that's stable?

Prime 95 runs an AVX work load by default. That puts an unusual amount of stress on any CPU, driving temps higher than you'll see running anything realistic. There's a small check box at the bottom of the stress test screen to disable AVX before you run the test.

Delidding almost always provides temp benefits. I don't think you need to jump to that since you're still on the stock Intel cooler... one step at a time.

Reactions: Already Late
Solution
Apr 14, 2020
Thank you, disabling AVX yielded better, and usable results.
Yes I have increased the BCLK. Also, I totally misread the voltage readout.

So I have set the BCLK to 102, @ 43,43,42,41 for the cores. (I hope I'm saying this right!)
The CPU voltage is at 1.192v and I haven't tried to set it lower (BIOS reports 1.184v sometimes, too)
This yields 4,385MHz and 86-87 degrees under Prime95
Sound about right?

New cooler on it's way, then and we'll go from there. 100 degrees had me scared :)

Thanks - your casemod is fantastic btw!