Question I7-3770 idle temp?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
So i have i7-3770 and my idle temp are betwen 27-30 lowest was 22c is this ok?to low? Or? Thanks

and betwen cores are 1-3c max difference

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
is the motherboard bios,chipset driver, windows up to date?
on a old system. if it working, I wouldn't worry about it.

yes all is up to date,on task manager its showing max of 4.3ghz but on hwinfo and cpu-z show max od 3.9ghz (i even try prime95) and the same…
What is the problem?

and why does my procesor goes down to like 1.8ghz at idle becouse its say 3.4ghz base clock speed? T

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
The CPU is variable speed and Windows can reduce or increase the clock speed as needed. In your CPU, which is an older model, the number of different speed settings it has to work with is pretty low, so you see the clock speed jump around a lot. This is normal.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not an issue but is an OC. Ivy-Bridge cpus were alone in the ability to OC 400MHz above factory. Somewhere in bios you have a Performance mode set which applied that OC. It's basically boosted your base and turbo speeds.

Leave idle speeds alone. It'll automatically (Intel speed step) reduce speeds and temps and useage to a low power level at idle, in preparation for sleep modes. Idle is just that, not doing anything, so pushing an unused cpu is just adding heat and wasting power.

As soon as anything is done, even as little as moving the mouse, you'll move from idle to awake and the cpu will be at whatever maximum it needs to use with whatever cores it needs to use.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
It's not an issue but is an OC. Ivy-Bridge cpus were alone in the ability to OC 400MHz above factory. Somewhere in bios you have a Performance mode set which applied that OC. It's basically boosted your base and turbo speeds.

Leave idle speeds alone. It'll automatically (Intel speed step) reduce speeds and temps and useage to a low power level at idle, in preparation for sleep modes. Idle is just that, not doing anything, so pushing an unused cpu is just adding heat and wasting power.

As soon as anything is done, even as little as moving the mouse, you'll move from idle to awake and the cpu will be at whatever maximum it needs to use with whatever cores it needs to use.

uhh ok thanks for replay,so nothing to worry about?

as i know non K version is not for overclock and i think my mobo cant oc even.

so as you say if i disable performance mode in bios this should bring back to max at 3.9ghz?

it is weird becouse this only show in task manager this 4.2/4.3gh on cpuz and in hwinfo show max out at 3.9ghz no matter what even at prime95

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Different levels of boosts? A program like Prime95 will use all cores, so the cpu will limit boost amounts. Single/dual core turbo is 3.9GHz, 3 core is 3.8GHz and 4th core is 3.7GHz. But using task manager or another single number reader is only going to show the 3.9GHz number. In reality, your cores are 3.9/3.9/3.8/3.7 GHz. With an active 400MHz Ivy-Bridge boost, you'll add 0.4GHz to those numbers, in windows, but in bios (where some programs get their info) they'll read different.

As long as your temps are fine, there's no need to downclock or even worry about actual speeds. Base speed of 3.4GHz is almost never used, is basically a pointless number. You'll spend all your time at either 800M/1.6G Hz idle or 3.9/4.3GHz turbo. It's really not an issue.