I7 3770 (non k) temps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I am curious about average temps (idle and load) for the i7 3770. I've heard the i7 3770k runs quite a bit hotter than a i7 2600k when being overclocked. But I'm interested in the non k version. My i7 2600 runs in the 30's idle and close to 50C under load.

The thing is I have a chance to upgrade to a i7 3770 at no cost - from my i7 2600, and I know its not great performance boost, but I wonder if its worth it just for the newer generation/tech and the native PCIe 3.0. And I do quite a bit of video work- I just can't seem to find any good info on the regular 3770's temps.

I would have already upgraded, but Im a little worried about all the talk about the 3770k temps getting higher than a 2600k. Does this only apply to the "k" version when being oveclocked?

If so does anyone have any idle and load temps on a non k 3770, and can tell me what kind of cooler/heatsnk they are using. I'll be using a Asetek closed loop cooler.

Basically my question is this- Would a i7 3770 (non k) run as cool as a i7 2600 (non k), using the same cooling set-up. Or will the Ivy Bridge chips be hotter than Sandy Bridge no matter what?

Solution
From what I understand, idle temperatures for IB aren't that different from SB. It's when they're overclocked+stressed that they start producing tremendous amounts of heat. Since you're not overclocking, I wouldn't worry one bit.

Also about your upgrade, it would be wise since it's a tad bit faster than SB (plus, no overclocking on your 2600, right?), and heck it's free. Why not? :lol: