I7 3770 or an i5 3470

Scr1m

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Hello guys!
So, I have a Pentium G530 on a ASROCK h61m-dgs socket 1155 motherboard with 4gb of ddr3 ram at 1333mhz and a gt 610 1gb ddr3 as a graphics card, I know it's a very shity PC.
My question: is it worth upgrading to an i7 3770, 16gb ddr3 ram and a Gtx 1060? I will get these in time, first I want to get the proccesor and a new PSU.
I will use the PC for 1080p gaming and some video edit, I want to know if the i5 3470 is enough or if I should go for the i7.

Solution
It can't hurt, but I expect the i7 will work without any changes. I too would suggest the i7. In many games, a 3rd gen i7 is a match for a 6th or 7th gen i5, making it still very "current" in performance.
Well the i5 will work, but editing will be slow. If you are doing light editing, it should be ok. Another thing is that the games can benefit from the higher thread count that the i7 can provide.

If you can, get a new motherboard all together either with Intel or Ryzen. A B350 (Ryzen) or B250 (Intel) should do you just fine. That way you can have a better upgrade path in the futre.

You probably will get similar responses. If you don't plan on getting a new motherboard and RAM combo, then go with the i7 if you want faster rendering times and better gaming performance. If you are looking to upgrade your motherboard for "future proofing" going to Ryzen with a B350 and 1600 is your best bet.

If you can't afford the i7, then get the i5. It is an improvement over the G350, but lags behind the i7 with lower clock speeds and lower thread counts.