i7-3770k + Antec Kuhler 620 + Overheat = Perminate higher temps?

tartooth

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hey guys

So I have this concern about my set up.

Before I begin let's be clear here. I don't overclock and have never overclocked my system. I'll do it when I need the boost.

What happened (from what I can tell) is my watercooling turned off for some reason and my temps reached over 100 (105/110 maybe) and turned itself off. I have a feeling it's because my pump/fan was on the CP_ FAN plug and it was sending the pump a lower voltage for some reason. When I checked the rad it was cold so the pump didn't appear to be on.

So I fixed the cooler, it's running now (I can hear the bubbles moving when I turn it on) and the fan has been replaced with a corsair 120 (High Performance) as the stock would hit the rad and stop itself.

Here's the thing, before this happened my temps idle would be 33-35 and NEVER go over 40. Under load I never went over 70 (65-68c)

Now they idle (1.6ghz x 4) at 40-45c and when I start gaming (starcraft 2) it goes up to 3.5 x 4 and my temps raise to 70-80 degrees and sometimes higher. I disabled turbo boost because it would go to 3.8 and further cause temp problems

Load would be at 25%

I reseated it and replaced the thermal paste. I am thinking once I get home to put the fan on the CPU_FAN and the pump on a SYS_FAN slot and keeping it at 100%

So what's up?
is it the bubbles in the pump?
Is my pump screwed and I need to RMA it? (which would suck because I have no other cooler)
Is my processor permanently damaged and forever going to hit higher temps?
I'm getting really concerned. Other 3770k users with the same cooler are hitting these temps running at full load at 4.5ghz not even 3.5

HELP D:

Solution
First, I would ask about thermal paste. i jsut build a system with a closed loops system and gunked on a ton of paste and had to redo it and that got my 10c lower right there.

CPU's should shut themselves off if they get too hot before any damage is done. Should is the key word. lol.

The connector the pump is connected to, should always run at 12v to keep the liquid going fast. Is that fan connector set to a quiet fan profile maybe?
First, I would ask about thermal paste. i jsut build a system with a closed loops system and gunked on a ton of paste and had to redo it and that got my 10c lower right there.

CPU's should shut themselves off if they get too hot before any damage is done. Should is the key word. lol.

The connector the pump is connected to, should always run at 12v to keep the liquid going fast. Is that fan connector set to a quiet fan profile maybe?

Solution

tartooth

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009

Thermal paste is perfect, small amount smeared with a CC and it's nice and thin (not too thin though!)

I'll double check the voltage when I get home, I'm going to separate the fan from the pump and give them each there own dedicated power source.

And as for "should" turn itself off. At what temps does a CPU get damaged? 120-150 or as low as 110?

I recommend the pea sized amount of thermal paste in the center of the processor method. There have been several articles that show all the difference methods and how the paste moves once you place the cooler on top and what not.

Most of the heat is in the center which is why the even spread method isn't the best plus it becomes too thin and creates spots that have too little paste which increases heat.

tartooth

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009

I'm convinced it's not the thermal paste.

Simply put, there is less thermal paste then when I got the stock cooler. Only difference is, is it's thinner. When I removed the cooler when it had the stock amount on it was leaking out the sides and made a goopy mess.

I can double check it again tonight though and re-apply it

*updates*
Update
I did a prime95 test and in less then two minutes I hit 95C and quit it as I didn't want to go further.
As soon as I quit it though my temps dropped instantaneously to 75C

Update again
I changed the thermal paste, re-seated so it's even more snug and my temps are even higher now

idling at 60c, I don't even want to know the load

WTF IS GOING ON I'm pulling my hair out here