i7 3770K Idling/Running Hot BSOD

TStahler

Distinguished
Hello Everyone,

I am running into a system issue that I am not sure how to resolve. It started off as the very popular "srttrail.txt" issue. I then tried booting to a second hard drive and had the same issue. I then tested my memory through 11 cycles or so with Memtest86+ and results were fine, I tested my hard drives and they tested fine too. My CPU is idling at stock speed at about 45 degrees and I am using GC Gelid Xtreme paste and a Seidon 240m cooler along with 5 140mm case fans. My GPU R9 295X2 tested fine as well. My 1600W EVGA Platinum power supply tested fine as well. I use a Fractal Design Define R4 case. Could my motherboard and processor finally have had it? Thanks.

Solution
1) Intel CPU diagnostic:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

2) Prime95 + Core Temp (worst-case scenario for CPU temperature). Again 105degC Tjmax, but aiming for 75degC or lower in NORMAL scenarios so even 90degC in Prime95 isn't an issue likely.

So...
*You said the "srttrail.txt" is a common issue. Maybe, but I can't find any good solutions or even what the issue is. It's apparently a LOG file though that doesn't help me much.

I'm still not clear on the 2nd hard drive test. Again, was this a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows? If not, it doesn't prove much (i.e. if you cloned the drive). If so, then it's a bit baffling because a CPU failure should show a lot more issue I would think including...

(idle seems a bit high, but if so that's a thermal paste or cooler issue. CPU won't throttle until around 100degC though for optimal life you should keep under 75degC approximately)

It seems most likely it's corrupted software.

You can burn any Linux Live CD and run that, such as Ubuntu (don't install just run directly from CD and use Firefox for a while or whatever. If it doesn't crash then it's unlikely to be a hardware issue.

You may simply need to reinstall or repair your Windows installation.

TStahler

Distinguished
I removed the top hard drive cage or else my graphics card would not fit. My current motherboard also does not have an option to change the VCore in Bios, so not fun. It really limits overcooking potential. The computer just running idle is very hot. The room is like a suana. The other components seem to be running fairly cool, unlike the cpu. After some research, It would cost me more money to replace the motherboard as Newegg and Microcenter no longer carry Z77 motherboards and ones on Ebay with no guarantee or warranty would run me approximately $300. Or, I could go buy a brand new AMD FX 9590 and brand new Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5 Revision 1 for $275. I would simply reuse my Cooler MASTER Seidon cooler with it. My computer is mostly used for our recording studio, although with its specs, it can game with the rest of them. Not sure what would be the best cost effective and value based option here. I think that I will open the case back up and make sure that all fans are running at their fullest potential.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

have u updated bios?
cleaned ur mobo, fans and everything inbetween?
does ur tower have good circulation, do u have negative, positive or neutral air pressure?
if ur all clear on those then i might suggest getting a new mobo/chip.
im curious when did u notice the heat difference. and what is the difference compared to the typical temperature.

1) Sauna:
The absolute WORST thing you could do then is buy a current AMD CPU. Any power drawn is waste heat dumped back into the room thus making it hotter. A single 60W light bulb can make a noticeable difference so just think what an extra 200W or so with an FX9590 might do.

Idle power drawn for the ENTIRE SYSTEM of an i7-3770K should be roughly 50W+ (not counting monitor). 100W+ under load at stock settings. That's with no graphics card etc. The FX-9590 under load is about 330W (a very small amount will be a graphics card idling).

*There's also no scenario where an FX-9590 will beat an i7-3770K. At best, if all EIGHT threads are used fully the FX-9590 is about 5% faster, however it has minimal or no overclocking left and the i7-3770K does. I'm at 4.2GHz, max Turbo, and no voltage added, just the multiplier altered. Also set it to "41" with all four cores utilized so that's my worst-case.

Keeping the stock voltage means heat produced will be nearly identical despite higher frequency.

2) Temp vs Heat:
There's a difference between the power consumed, and the local temperature of a component like the CPU. I have an i7-3770K, and usually sits at 30 to 34degC (24degC ambient room temp). That's with a Noctua NH-D14.

Gaming temp-> 50-60degC range

Prime95 max temp-> 67degC

Tjmax is 105degC, so it won't THROTTLE until roughly this temperature (though Intel recommends for optimal CPU life to not exceed approximately 75degC).

3) i7-3770K TIM etc:
Who cares?
You could delid and make this more efficient likely, but its a hassle, may wreck your CPU and frankly unless your CPU is being THROTTLED I wouldn't bother. Sure, running slightly hot (80degC plus sustained) can reduce life expectancy but I wouldn't personally risk breaking it to increase the life span.

4) case fans:
Provided you have at least one intake, and an exhaust near the CPU then increasing fan speed or adding fans won't have a large affect on the CPU temperature. I sped my rear fan to 1800RPM from 700RPM and it made only a 1degC difference in the idle temp.

Summary:
Again, I think it's likely a CPU cooler issue, but also again if your CPU isn't being throttled then you aren't losing any performance.

*What I don't understand though is your "srrtrail.txt" issue. Some points on that:
a) When booting to second drive was that a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows?
b) WHEN does this error occur?

1) Intel CPU diagnostic:

2) Prime95 + Core Temp (worst-case scenario for CPU temperature). Again 105degC Tjmax, but aiming for 75degC or lower in NORMAL scenarios so even 90degC in Prime95 isn't an issue likely.

So...
*You said the "srttrail.txt" is a common issue. Maybe, but I can't find any good solutions or even what the issue is. It's apparently a LOG file though that doesn't help me much.

I'm still not clear on the 2nd hard drive test. Again, was this a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows? If not, it doesn't prove much (i.e. if you cloned the drive). If so, then it's a bit baffling because a CPU failure should show a lot more issue I would think including specific BSOD crashes.

It really seems like data corruption, so if you haven't done a CLEAN INSTALL I suggest doing so.

I suppose it might be some issue with other drivers or software but there's no good information on this that I can find. Other things to try (Google for specifics) are:

a) Scannow (i.e sfc /scannow), and
b) Checkdisk (i.e. chckdsk C: /f )

Solution