i7 3770K stock cooling or should i get different one or maybe a liquid cooler?

d4v0

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hi everyone I just wanted to know if the stock cooling that comes with the i7 3770k is any good and should I get a different cooling or perhaps a liquid cooling like the Kraken X60. Thanks in advance.

fgin23

Honorable
May 12, 2012
Imo stock cooling in any processor sucks. I have my i7 3770k paired with a corsair h80 but any h series will work. Mine is overclocked to 4.5ghz and idle temperature is 32-35 celcius and under load it never goes above 70 Celsius. So in short, yes a liquid cooler is worth it imo

fkr

Splendid
If you are not overclocking then the stock cooler is fine, if you want to bring your noise profile down then a hyper 212 for <$30 would be fine. If you are just worried about temps then your stock cooler is fine.

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
If you don't have any money right now, use the stock cooler; however, you may find that your CPU throttles back its performance to protect itself when too much heat builds up.
When you can, you should plan on upgrading the cooler to get maximum performance out of your i7

gbryan101

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Stock coolers are simply designed to keep a CPU in an operational temperature range at stock clocks, nothing more, nothing less. Without an overclock and with adequate ventilation, the stock cooler will work fine.

That said, most aftermarket coolers are better in a great many ways and I would suggest getting something if you intend to overclock by any significant margin or are using a very airflow-limited form factor. While I personally use Corsair closed-loop coolers, a Kraken would be fine as well.

d4v0

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks a lot people for the quick answer and sorry for not including in the body but I dont think I am going to be doing any overclocking as I am going to be mainly gaming and you know the regular stuff surfing the web, checking emails, watching movies, etc...I'll probably pick up a water cooling later just because i like it and since I am not going to do any crazy overclocking and stuff would u recommend me picking up the kraken x40 instead of x60?