[SOLVED] i7 3820 question

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
i was just wondering what cpu is the i7 3820 comparable to in modern standards, i still have it and i plan on selling the system it is built with but i dont want to under or overprice it to my friends.

Solution
Effectively it is slightly slower than an i3 8100 or Ryzen 3 2200G. The platform is more robust though, The LGA 2011 socket will fit 6 core CPUs and quad channel RAM. The problem is that something like a Ryzen 5 2600 is about equal to the fastest CPU that you can fit to the platform... the only advantage to the platform is the memory bandwidth. In quad channel with its DDR3 it is still faster than DDR4 dual channel. For gaming memory bandwidth won't really matter though. LGA 2011 system are more usually workstation systems.

Given the age and capabilities, I'd sell it around the price of a comparable low end gaming machine. No advantage the platform has really applies to average use.
Effectively it is slightly slower than an i3 8100 or Ryzen 3 2200G. The platform is more robust though, The LGA 2011 socket will fit 6 core CPUs and quad channel RAM. The problem is that something like a Ryzen 5 2600 is about equal to the fastest CPU that you can fit to the platform... the only advantage to the platform is the memory bandwidth. In quad channel with its DDR3 it is still faster than DDR4 dual channel. For gaming memory bandwidth won't really matter though. LGA 2011 system are more usually workstation systems.

Given the age and capabilities, I'd sell it around the price of a comparable low end gaming machine. No advantage the platform has really applies to average use.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah the problem there though is that the 6 core X79 processors are very expensive, even though they are previous generation. The max CPU that an X79 motherboard can support is an i7-4960X, and you can get them used for around $300 on eBay (and the problem there is that you're buying a used CPU), and you can find in box CPUs for around the $800 - $900 mark. For that money you can get a pretty decent 2700X setup with motherboard, CPU and RAM.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
good point, but im not planing on upgrading it or anything just want to sell the whole system i7 3820, asus p9x79 , 8gb 2600mhz kingston hyper x and asus gtx 1070. for roughly 650USD. since its pretty hard to find i7 3xxx or i7 4xxx cpus here in the philippines these days.