i7 4770k - High Temps + Want turbo boost only when needed

lazp

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Simply put:
I've been having an issue with my CPU, I started noticing for a good while that in games likes "GTA V" after a long period of time it would start stuttering and lag(not internet wise) spiking and I never thought it was temperatures(CPU wise) but after I looked up my Temperatures, I saw that my CPU was going up, way too up and almost above 80c just by loading up the game, and would keep increasing with time. I did consider it being insufficient RAM or it being all used up by the Game and causing the stuttering, but in this thread I'm discussing my CPU.

Here's my Specs just in case:
Motherboard - MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
CPU - Intel Core i7-4770k @ 3.50GHz, turbo to 3.90GHz
GPU - GeForce GTX 660 ti
RAM - 8GB (2x4) Dual-Channel DDR3
HDD - Western Digital 1TB SATA III 64MB Blue
OS - Windows 10 Home 64bits

I have my PC Setup for 2+ Years now.

I didn't clean up the PC for a while, didn't dust it out for a while, so I am aware that probably I need to do that, and replace the thermal paste on the CPU (I never cleaned up the heatsink and replace the Thermal Paste)

Now whenever I go around and browse videos, watch Twitch.tv Streams and load pages+have tabs open, just do normal PC stuff, the normal CPU temperature is 60+C and if I do more stuff on the PC without being gaming its goes even up to 66+C which to me sounds high, right? Oh and opening up a game that doesn't push the PC so much (ex. Rocket League) the CPU goes right above 70+C right away and climbing towards 79+C.

While the CPU temp is high by just using the PC normally the rest are like this (estimate by looking now):
Motherboard: 25-31C
GPU: 26-41C
HDD: 21-24C

What's the thoughts on this? Is it a Dust issue and I should clean it up(which I was planning to), replace the thermal paste and it would fix it?
My Case - Cooler Master K380
I have 2 extra fans, one on the side fanning to the inside and one on the back fanning from inside the case out.

Also, I noticed that my CPU Turbo Boost (3.50GHz -> 3.90GHz) is always on, so its always with 3.9 and I tried seeing if it was possible to limit that on the Windows "Power Options" by having the minimum processor state at 50% for example but doesn't seem to do it (maybe I need to dig into the BIOS but I am asking just to be sure, and I don't know how to), and I would only want my CPU to turbo boost only when it needs to, whenever it doesn't and doesn't affect performance it shouldn't be always turbo boosted, cause I know that it being always turbo boosted increases its temperature in general, correct? How can I proceed with this?

Thank you.

Dust. Have a look at the CPU cooler. 9 times out of 10 the behaviour you're describing is caused by dust.

You could try new thermal paste, but in my experience that might have a few degrees impact. Clearing out dust can easily (and I'm not exaggerating here) drop CPU load temps by 40 degrees.

90% chance you clear out that dust and watch your temps plummet and your fps soar.

lazp

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

Alright.
Would like to see more thoughts on this, anything on the Turbo Boost part of my thread?

You can seek more opinions if you like, but no one can tell you for 100% sure what's going on with your PC. 101 of troubleshooting is to try the most likely and easiest fixes first... and I can tell you right now that dust clogging your CPU heatsync is by far and away the most likely cause of your problem.

RE the 3.9Ghz all the time... you're right, I would expect with everything at default that your PC would clock down at idle. The reason I don't think that's your primary issue however, is because that's going to make any difference under a gaming load. Under load you'd expect that CPU to crank up and the cooling system needs to be able to handle that. Clearly it has in the past because the stuttering issues you describe (almost certainly related to temps) haven't been around for ever.

Anyway, that is worth looking into later. Sort your dust out first.
Then... have you ever overclocked? Even a little? Just played around with it? Or enabled a pre-configured OC from MSI? Lots of OCing guides will have you disabling various power saving features which can mess with stability on an overclocked system. That would account for your CPU constantly sitting at a fixed frequency. If not, grab the manual for your CPU, go into the BIOS and check that the various power saving features are all set to their defaults.
DO NOT messing with settings you don't understand. Take your time. Post back here if you're unsure of anything after reading the description carefully.

lazp

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

I just like to hear multiple opinions, I am aware of that. I see, will look into that.

I have never overclocked my CPU, I've only went into my BIOS to tweak fan speeds so it adapts depending on the System Temperatures, that's about it. Never clicked the OC section, I may however follow what you said and take my time seeing if the power saving features are all set to default.

lazp

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

Apologies, but I think I will be taking a while on figuring out where I can find these "Power Saving" Features and what's their default :sweat: halp? ahah
I don't even think there's a "Power Saving" thing on my BIOS, probably goes by another name?

Right, try enabling "EIST" under the "OC" settings on your BIOS. That's normally enabled by default, but maybe not...

However... again, I would NOT be adjusting any BIOS settings until you've fixed your actual problem (high temps). Generally with troubleshooting you try and address 1 issue at a time, systematically. EIST shouldn't really have any impact on load temperatures, but still, you can never be 100% sure, and introducing new settings/features when your computer is already unstable with a known issue is not good practice. If you do run into problems it can be hard to know whether it's because of the known issue or the settings you changed.

lazp

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

Okidoki, will deal with the Temperature Issue first, I'll reply an update.

lazp

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Sorry for the big delay, I've been having some moving and changes in my house, I opened up the case, cleaned up carefully with pencils of different sizes and I don't have compressed air and so on, did my best on the CPU and so on, and turned it on again, I can't do a full cleanup just yet, but I just turned on, ofc it didn't heat up yet with usage since it just turned on, the idle temp is between 40-46

I am watching a Stream and playing a Source game and the temp went from 50 to 65+ in some minutes, after like just 10min I would see it touch the 70 point, and I imagine after a good while it would reach 80? :(

Thoughts?

maybe you need to rethink your cpu cooler or how you mounted it ?? poor cooler mounting = poor cooling , theres a bit more to it then just slapping one on

too tight , too loose , tightened down crooked / uneven - cpu lid and or cold plate not perfectly flat for proper contact/ mating , too little / too much paste

fan and it speeds as the temps increase maybe the fans aint ramping up to keep up with the heat ?

it can all be a fine line between poor cooling and great cooling with the same cooler used

lazp

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

I didn't mount the cooler, when I bought all the parts for my PC the shop itself handled the cabling and putting on the various coolers I asked for the case and they seemed to have done a great job, I did not risk taking off the Heatsink from the CPU due to me not having thermal paste, I never took it off really, but did my best and cleaning it up and I didn't see signs of dust at least as far as I could see. I have set the Fans to speed up and keep the CPU tmp always below 70.

I guarantee you someone don't to the job as I do for me like I said I look it all over and use my personal touch and care and inspect , and don't think I never had to pull a cooler back off cause I was not satisfied on how it went the first time and redo it to try to achieve better results .

what cooler are you using on that cpu anyway ??

a good daily load on that cpu and a proper cooler should be about 50/ 58c [like gaming hard for hrs. ] stressing it maybe 74c . my 4670 averages that with a cheap 25 buck cooler on it [corsair vortex plus ] with the fans set in quite mode and 28/32c idle

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7-4770K_Haswell/9.html

those seem hight to me with a 4670 all that should be different in it and a 4770 is hyper threading is disabled in a i5

now if then guys you had put that cooler on use a good aftermarket cooler or just the intel stock cooler ???

lazp

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

The cooler for the CPU is its Stock Cooler. At the beginning I didn't have this heating problem for like a year or something, but I started noticing since I saw stuttering in GTA V, so I monitored the temps and there I saw very high temps after playing and even at idle after like a while of usage.

get a real live cooler on that i7K . stock cooler is at best for office use

then hyper 212's were pretty poplar and don't cost a lot

https://www.newegg.com/CPU-Fans-Heatsinks/SubCategory/ID-574?Order=REVIEWS

that first artic Freezer 7 Pro looks to use the stock push pin mount and easy to install [ my coolermasrter vortex + ]uses the push pin mounting as well ]

I like these cause to pushes the fan air down and over the cpu and motherboard [not to say its the best just to use as a example ]

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103084

lazp

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
So I need to use more money, okie.
Thanks for the answers I guess, no reason to keep this thread open cause that's what I am always told, buy upgrades.. great.