i7 4790 cpu temps very high right after getting off sleep mode HELP

Demonic Heart

Honorable
May 8, 2014
when browsing and not doing much my temps are usually 33-48c

when getting off sleep mode i see max temps at 58-60c.. why is that?

if the pc is doing nothing why heat increases?

BTW my heat sink is a cooler master hyper evo 212

Solution
When windows isn't active, many of your CPUs energy saving features may be disabled depending on how your system is set up.

When you are in BIOS, you will note that your CPU remains at full speed while the puter is doing nothing, this results in a higher temp than at idle in Windows.

Not sure how well it will work, but run a temperature tracking utility, let the system sleep and then bring it out of sleep and look at graphs and see where spikes kick in.
When the computer comes out of sleep the processor gets busy for a little bit resuming applications and what not so you will see a spike in processor activity and heat generation for a little bit then drops back down as the processor is idle. The busier a CPU gets the more heat it will generate and those temperatures are fine.

Demonic Heart

Honorable
May 8, 2014

ok i get what you are saying but the strange thing is.. i can stream live content and run brand new games with high gfx on youtube 1080p 60fps at the same time and it won't even get that high

When windows isn't active, many of your CPUs energy saving features may be disabled depending on how your system is set up.

When you are in BIOS, you will note that your CPU remains at full speed while the puter is doing nothing, this results in a higher temp than at idle in Windows.

Not sure how well it will work, but run a temperature tracking utility, let the system sleep and then bring it out of sleep and look at graphs and see where spikes kick in.

Solution

Demonic Heart

Honorable
May 8, 2014

i will try this

thanks

1080p 60FPS video isn't very taxing on the CPU. And as Jack said when you are in the BIOS/Pre-Windows which will likely also include resuming from sleep the CPU is operating at its maximum frequency as the power settings including clocking the CPU down when idle is handled by Windows.
What you are seeing is not unusual. If you did a benchmark on your CPU you would see higher temperatures than that because it is much more demanding than resuming from sleep or watching 1080p 60FPS content on Youtube.

toddybody

Distinguished

My system fans go "full fighter jet" for a short time after waking...I suppose this makes sense.

Yup thats normal, they can do the same thing on boot as well. For me my noise is typically from my GPU's