[SOLVED] I7-4790 playing games shoots up to 100 in temp!

Feb 20, 2019
Hey guys and gals,

my comp is :
CPU: i7-4790
CPU COOLER: stock
MOBO: asrock B85m-HDS
RAM:16gb ram
GPU: zotec 1050ti 4gb mini

just swapped a new cpu from a i3-4130 to a i7-4790 and starting check out my new cpu perfomance with Msi Afterbuner and Prime95 and intel burn test, core temp 1.3. and just realized then when i play games my cpu get really hot and i mean really hot! 100 degrees when playing battlefield 1 and overwatch. i mean on paper i should be able to run overwatch fine. but im really worried my cpu is gonna combust in flames. is a new cooler gonna help? i posted a pic from BF1 before choosing a squad and another while im running around( when it gets super hot) . hope you guys or girls are able to give me a heads up on whats going on. thanks!
f9k3f7.jpg
344silv.jpg

Solution
The rear exhaust fan is the only one I would consider mandatory. Front intakes are my second priority as long as they are filtered mainly for dust ingress mitigation. Other fan locations are don't-care in my book and I tape over 'em - my PC is under my desk and I don't want stuff falling from my keyboard shelf into my PC. All three of my case fans are tri-speed 120mm set at their lowest speed and that is enough to keep my passively-cooled (fan-less 212+) i5-3470 under 70C at full load in a 35C room.

IMO, most 'guides' are grossly overdoing and overthinking their fan setup since they are put together by people with aggressive if not outright extreme overclocking in mind. A normal everyday PC requires surprisingly little airflow to...
Feb 20, 2019
Did you use the i3 stock cooler ? If so then that'll never work. If the 4790 stock cooler got used did you reapply thermal paste?
no no i wouldnt use my old cooler. i used the one that came with the new cpu. thermal paste was already applied with the fan that came with the cpu.

so should i not game awhile before fixing this issue?. idling, with chrome on is showing around 40ish temp ( core temp 1.3)

InvalidError

Titan
While the i7's stock HSF may not be particularly good, it should still keep the CPU under 90C when installed correctly. Case size doesn't matter much as long as you have a rear exhaust fan pulling hot air from the CPU/VRM area out of the case so the HSF doesn't just end up recirculating the same hot air all the time.

Feb 20, 2019
While the i7's stock HSF may not be particularly good, it should still keep the CPU under 90C when installed correctly. Case size doesn't matter much as long as you have a rear exhaust fan pulling hot air from the CPU/VRM area out of the case so the HSF doesn't just end up recirculating the same hot air all the time.
Currently i took off both side panel off and just let it run. i watch linus and i dont have a front fan, at the momenti have one side panel fan pulling air and a back pushing out. is that enough? maybe a new case is needed with more fans and a new cpu cooler?

omg i've been watching to many tutorial and bulid on youtube. i think i got the pc bulit bug. i need a intervention.

InvalidError

Titan
The rear exhaust fan is the only one I would consider mandatory. Front intakes are my second priority as long as they are filtered mainly for dust ingress mitigation. Other fan locations are don't-care in my book and I tape over 'em - my PC is under my desk and I don't want stuff falling from my keyboard shelf into my PC. All three of my case fans are tri-speed 120mm set at their lowest speed and that is enough to keep my passively-cooled (fan-less 212+) i5-3470 under 70C at full load in a 35C room.

IMO, most 'guides' are grossly overdoing and overthinking their fan setup since they are put together by people with aggressive if not outright extreme overclocking in mind. A normal everyday PC requires surprisingly little airflow to achieve acceptable temperatures. (Of course, you need to make sure that airflow gets where it is actually needed - that's the really important part.)

Solution