I7 4790k 95 degrees on 20% load

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
I am running an I7 4790k and a gtx 1060. As soon as i start to play a game that uses 20% or more load on my CPU then it reaches 90-95 degrees. i was using nzxt cam when getting this info however having used core temp i got the same results. I would assume that this isn't due to hot weather since the problem only started today so is this likely to be faulty hardware?

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Core temp, Extreme tuning utility and nzxt cam all report the same temps. I have got the Temps down to 45 on idle but in order to get there I have disabled boost and hyperthreading plus limited voltage to 1.0 and the current to 100 which should be at 1.2 and 105 retrospectively

AT THIS point, i'm fresh out of suggestions. Since you re-installed windows and it's still running hot kind of eliminates software or updates. It's possible your temp monitoring utility was reading the sensors or reporting the sensors incorrectly, and something happened that corrected that.

At this point, the only thing i'd suggest is to upgrade the cooler - that intel cooler is a joke, on a good day

CrazyDingo

Reputable
May 1, 2015
For a non-overclocked i7 4790k, the stock cooler should by definition be adequate - with a non-overclocked 4790k running a gtx 1080 at much higher loads than this I've never had such problems myself. For a CPU input voltage 1.207V is not high (mines 1.808V non-overclocked). Unless the cooler is failing, there's some other problem here - replacing the cooler may (or may not) help, but it won't solve that problem. What is that problem? Sorry dunno. Rather than speculate (rehashing a lot of the above) I'd rather say: just be ware in thinking about how much you want to investigate, that if you keep running the cpu hot your reducing it's lifespan (and if it gets too hot running other risks as well).

actually, intel's thermal limiter built into the cpu works pretty well at protecting the CPU. When i built my 4790(non-k) rig, i was relying on ASUS's AI Suite III perfromance utility for temp monitoring.

I used the rig for video monitoring and noticed at 98-100% load, it seemed to always plateau out at 67C. The two rendering programs i use seem to be core hogs and run the CPU full tilt.

One day i downloaded RealTemp and then intel's XTU and both were showing temps were actually running 98-100C, ie it would hit 100C, fall back to 98C then go right back up to 100C and continually repeat the cycle. I corrected the issue, ie better cooler, and started using the benchmark test in XTU to test my CPU, and as that test offers the opportunity to upload your benchmark score to the internet and compare to other users with same CPU and mobo.

- my scores are consistently in the top 5% - bear in mind, i'd render 1-2 video files a day, 2-3 hour jobs, 5 days a week, for over 3 months running it at 98-100C - that was 3 years ago. I'm pretty confident no permanent damage was done to the CPU

CrazyDingo

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Accept high temperatures and hope for the best is an option for sure - and sometimes, some users will get good mileage with that but others won't be so lucky.

The CPU is running excessively hot for light loads, thus there's a problem; it's not overclocked, so the stock cooler is not the problem (unless it's broken). War stories may impress readers but they won't fool the hardware.

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
As the 212 has a rear mobo mount. Does anyone have any tips for
Removing a stiff power connector on the motherboard? I've removed 3-4 before and never had an issue but I can't get this one to budge.

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Right hope someone will pop into this thread again. Everything is installed and connected after installing my coolermaster cpu cooler. Now everything boots fine except I get no display.

turn off computer, then turn off the psu switch on the back of the computer, then pull all your ram sticks except for the on in the A1 slot, - turn everything back on (PSU in back and computer) reboot, let idle for a minute or two, then turn everything back off, re-install all ram sticks, and see if it doesn't work

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
Because i reinstalled windows it defaulted to Intel and wouldn't let me install my GPU drivers. so i am installing all updates to see if i can fix the issue. If this sorts out my issue then i can safely say the original issue is sorted. So i would like to thank everyone especially you for your help.

elliotairlines

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
It wouldnt be a Pc if fixing one problem didnt start another. I know cannot having again cleared cmos, installing all windows updates and remving ram my 1060 is not recognised. defintely in the slot right and has the cable in correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.