i7 4790k always 4.4 ghz

sidtheghost

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
I have had my pc (i7 4790k gtx 970) for a couple of months now and recently i am noticing that my cpu has high idle temps (40-50). it was not like this before (more like low 30s). in cpuz it tells me that my cpu is running at 4.4 ghz (even though the voltage is still low). under load and in games, my usage and temperature are normal like they used to be 50s and 60s. after my cpu is at a high idle temp for a while it randomly drops back to low 30s and stays like that, with my clock speed staying lower. again, everything at load is fine but idle is worrying me. i have set power settings to balanced (5%-100%) and i dont know what to do. i am using hyper 212 evo, no overclock. Thanks!

Solution
Mine runs at 4.4 Ghz because I want it to. Sounds like you may have changed settings in the BIOS that's forcing it to run in turbo all the time. Just reset the BIOS (choose "Load Optimized Defaults" or whatever and once it boots make sure you don't have "High Performance" chosen in the power options (right click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner and choose "power options". Choose "Balanced" from there. It should drop back down to 4.0 Ghz after that.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Mine runs at 4.4 Ghz because I want it to. Sounds like you may have changed settings in the BIOS that's forcing it to run in turbo all the time. Just reset the BIOS (choose "Load Optimized Defaults" or whatever and once it boots make sure you don't have "High Performance" chosen in the power options (right click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner and choose "power options". Choose "Balanced" from there. It should drop back down to 4.0 Ghz after that.

Solution