i7 4790K Are these idle and load temperatures safe?

alwintom

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I have setup a new i7 4790K build last week. Today I decided to run some stress test on it to see how hot it can get.

Setup:
CPU: i7 4790K - stock (no overclocking)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero (bios settings at optimized defaults)
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper T4
Thermal paste: Coolermaster Thermal fusion 400
RAM: 2x4G Gskill ripjaws X@ 1333MHz
Ambient temperature: 30°-32° C

I ran prime95 version 26 for about 5 minutes with HwInfo64 running in background. I ran the Small FFTs test

Here are the images from HWiNFO at both full load and idle states:
temperatures.jpg

Are these temperatures safe??

Solution
Hey man as long as they are below 60C and during gaming its below 80C i'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Just so you know on idle with nothing going on my CPU is at 30-40C but during gaming its around 60C and during prime its around 90 when using AVX instruction set our haswells get hot but good news its so rare this never happens just to make yourself feel better run Fritiz chess benchmark and you will see lower temps then prime 95.

alwintom

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Core#3 runs cooler. But intel says it is normal since core#3 is not sandwitched between any other computational unit -so it has more breathing room

And I did remove and re-seat the cooler several times already. Does not do anything at all.

I've read somewhere that certain thermal pastes have a curing time before they are fully operational - is that true?

alwintom

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Ok thats a relief. What I am worried more is the idle temps. My previous CPU - a C2Q 9550 - with the same cooler ran at 35-40 at idle.

jdwii

Splendid
Hey man as long as they are below 60C and during gaming its below 80C i'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Just so you know on idle with nothing going on my CPU is at 30-40C but during gaming its around 60C and during prime its around 90 when using AVX instruction set our haswells get hot but good news its so rare this never happens just to make yourself feel better run Fritiz chess benchmark and you will see lower temps then prime 95.

Solution

alwintom

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I just played GTA5 for 2 hours at maximum settings. A lot of racing and gun fights. Maximum temp reported was 75 C.

And I had my power plan set to 'High Performance'. I changed it to 'Balanced' and now it idles at 35-38 range.

So I guess I am ok.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.