i7-4790k damaged at 1.7v ?!

fields224

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
So had a bit of a mistake with an overclock!

Was very late and was testing voltages at certain clock speeds, accidentally in a half asleep state typed in 1.70v instead of 1.07v...

Saved changes and reset the cpu, came up with bios error saying cpu overvoltage, i thought the bios detecting this would of stopped the high voltage, but when i entered bios i saw my cpu voltage at 1.7 and temps up to 89c and counting, i quickly reset the voltage and rebooted.

The cpu was at 1.7v in bios only for about 5-10seconds, my question is has this insanely high voltage permanently damaged any components cpu / motherboard / ram etc. Surprisingly after reseting the voltage it runs fine and has been for the last few days, i just wondered if i should expect a much shorter lifespan or something?

Solution
From the Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

" ... Section 8 - Overclocking and Vcore

Overclocked processors can reach up to 150% of their Thermal Design Power (TDP) when using manual Core voltage (Vcore) settings, so high-end air or liquid cooling is critical. Every processor is unique in it's overclocking potential, voltage tolerance and thermal behavior.

Regardless, excessive Vcore and temperatures will result in accelerated "Electromigration" - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Electromigration - which prematurely erodes the traces and junctions within the processor's layers and nano-circuits. This will eventually result in...
Hard to tell since it apparently happened quick and didn't get hot for long. Normally when a CPU degrades, it requires more voltage to run at the same speed over time to remain stable, and hence, generate more heat. It sounds like you recently built it and are still testing it. I have a medium overclock (4.5Ghz) on my i5 4690k and keep a close eye on the stock voltage settings when not overclocking it.

My old i5 2500k rig needed more voltage over time to remain at the same aggressive overclock setting (4.8GHz) before finally dying late last year. Once you find a happy medium, log your voltage usage in CPUID (Min and Max values specifically) adn temps and keep an eye on them over time. If they creep up over a matter of weeks or months of use instead of years to remain stable, then you've likely done some damage to it.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Maximum recommended core voltage for 22 nanometer processors is 1.300. Core temperatures in the mid-70's are safe for everyday real-world workloads. Sustained temperatures into the 80's for extended periods of time beyond stability testing should be avoided.

fields224

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

Yes my normal overclock which i have settled with now is actually 4.5ghz @ 1.19v under load and my temps are in the low 70s at max load. It seems to be fine and stable but do you think there will be any noticeable side affects from that short accidental 1.7voltage? Im quite annoyed my bios actually let me boot with that voltage though i think i was quick enough to reset it before it reached much higher than 90c.

Also 10tacle mentioned about extreme overclockers running really high voltages but keeping temps down with nitrogen and stuff, i have heard of 4770k running at 2.0v at like 7ghz. Is it just temperature that damages the cpu or will the voltage damage it too even if the temperatures are not over the limit.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
From the Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

" ... Section 8 - Overclocking and Vcore

Overclocked processors can reach up to 150% of their Thermal Design Power (TDP) when using manual Core voltage (Vcore) settings, so high-end air or liquid cooling is critical. Every processor is unique in it's overclocking potential, voltage tolerance and thermal behavior.

Regardless, excessive Vcore and temperatures will result in accelerated "Electromigration" - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Electromigration - which prematurely erodes the traces and junctions within the processor's layers and nano-circuits. This will eventually result in blue-screen crashes, which will become increasingly frequent over time.

CPU's become more susceptible to Electromigration with each Die-shrink, so 22 Nanometer architecture is less tolerant of over-volting. Nevertheless, Vcore settings should not exceed the following:

-> Core 2

1st. Generation 65 Nanometer ... 1.50 Vcore
2nd Generation 45 Nanometer ... 1.40 Vcore

-> Core i

1st. Generation 45 Nanometer ... 1.40 Vcore
2nd Generation 32 Nanometer ... 1.35 Vcore
3rd Generation 22 Nanometer ... 1.30 Vcore
4th Generation 22 Nanometer ... 1.30 Vcore ... "

CT :sol:

Solution

fields224

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

Hi,

Just one other quick question i was thinking of, is there any chance sending the 1.7v to the cpu could of possibly damaged anything else in the system? such as memory / motherboard / psu etc.

thanks