i7 4790k High CPU Temps........Low Usage % I need some help.

CinciFan82

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
Today my computer decided to start acting stupid. My temps are around 70C-80C and its at idle. Using PerfMonitor2, the computer shows 0-5% usage, but the package temp is around the above temps. If I look at the Task Manager, it shows the CPU at 100% and programs will randomly start using high cpu usage and then stop. Currently as I type this Chrome is around 45-70% for a minute or two and then its at like 3%. I am lost. All I know is the computer is running higher temps according to the few programs I have used to check it. (CPUID/PerfMonitor2, SpeedFan) My GPU is even running in the 60C range I am not even using it. The fans are running on it though to keep it cool. I have no idea what to do. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated. I am not SUPER technical, so there may be some things you have to walk me through for deeper information. My specs are

Intel i7 4790k (stock)
Z97 ASRock Extreme6
8gb Corsair Dominator Ram
EVGA GTX 980 SC w/ACX 2.0
CX750 PSU
OCZ 120gb SSD Win10
Seagate 1tb HDD

Image of temps currently:
https://gyazo.com/9367a71d924194a6e1b1501df385b156

Solution
Glad it's sorted for now, hopefully it stays that way. Windows itself could have been the cause if it were running updates or on a fairly new install if it were indexing the drives. I believe win10 also by default enables file sharing of updates so if you have an update another win10 user needs they could be getting pieces of the update files from your machine (and others) similar to how torrents work. Win10 is also new and will likely have a multitude of fixes and patches being released as time goes on.
Have you tried using another monitoring program like hwinfo64 or realtemp? Just to get a comparison to the readings you're getting on cpuid to make sure it's consistent between monitoring software. Sometimes software monitoring programs can report false readings.

If you place your hand at the back of the case where the exhaust fan is blowing does the air feel cool or warm?

What cpu cooler are you using, the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler like a 212 evo or all in one type water cooler? Are the case fans in your case all running?

It seems odd that your temps don't fluctuate much between idle and 50% load and even at idle your cpu is running the same exact clock speeds as it does under load which says you have speedstep turned off somehow. For now try setting your windows power options (type power options in the search area of your start panel) to 'balanced' rather than 'performance' if it's on performance.

Then do a bios reset. Power down the pc by shutting down through windows, then turn off the power switch at the back of the power supply. Open the pc case and remove the cmos battery for 30-60 seconds. It's just below the cpu socket and above your video card, just above the asrock logo. After you've removed it, place it back in, flip the power switch at the back of the psu and try powering the computer back on. You'll have to reset the system clock so when it boots up before windows loads, press F2 to enter the bios.

If you're unfamiliar with the bios, have a read here. It does a quick walkthrough of most of the bios functions/screens with photos.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8045/asrock-z97-extreme6-review-ultra-m2-x4-tested-with-xp941/2

Don't set it to any 'performance' modes or anything to begin with, no auto overclocking. The idea is to try and get the pc back to factory default settings which should include speedstep being enabled. Speedstep is intel's feature that allows the cpu to downclock to around 800mhz when idling or under very little load to reduce power consumption and reduce heat. It's liable not to be a solution all on its own but there needs to be a steady baseline of basic configurations to try and troubleshoot issues that are causing your high temps.

CinciFan82

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
Thank you for the response. I haven't done any BIOS changes since I have put this computer together. I have no experience in OC or Modding for performance and I had no intention of trying it without supervision. I haven't tried resetting the BIOS yet, but I got impatient and reinstalled Windows 8.1. I used 2 different programs along with the Task manager to determine the temps. I have since downloaded the hwinfo64 and realtemp. Since doing that and getting all my software back on the computer, my CPU is running at about 25-30C and I haven't had any rises. Usage is staying around 0-5%. Task Manager isn't saying 100% like before now either. I haven't went as far as upgrading to Win10 yet because I wanted to be sure that this was fixed before I did that. If I have any other issues arise, I will take the steps you provided and see what I get out of it. Thanks again for the info and hopefully I got this thing nipped.

Glad it's sorted for now, hopefully it stays that way. Windows itself could have been the cause if it were running updates or on a fairly new install if it were indexing the drives. I believe win10 also by default enables file sharing of updates so if you have an update another win10 user needs they could be getting pieces of the update files from your machine (and others) similar to how torrents work. Win10 is also new and will likely have a multitude of fixes and patches being released as time goes on.

Solution