i7 4790k or new mobo + new ram (ddr4) + i5 6600k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

usa_john

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
I have just purchased a gtx 970 and I currently have a pentium g3258. I play/ want to play (my cpu prevents me from playing some of my owned games) csgo, gta v, bf4 and ofcourse bf1 when it comes out.

I also like to stream, but atm, i cant because of my terrible cpu.

So my question is, do I go for a 4790k, or change my mobo, ram and get an i5 6600k.

I dont think that I will do much editing, mainly gaming and a little streaming on the side.

My current specs:

Intel Pentium g3258
h81m-hd3 motherboard
Gigabyte GTX 970 4gb
8gb ram
500 W psu

Thanks for any help :D

usa_john

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

I have heard very good things about i5's, but going with an i5 with a 1150 socket seems very stupid. It wont last in the long run and if I want to uppgrade in the future I will need a new MB and ram. Going with an i7 is safer for the future choosing not to uppgrade in a while.

lodders

Admirable

My sons computer is 8 years old, and we are just about to replace it. It is a fast quad core. It is amazing how long a good CPU will last these days.
An i7 is better than an i5, but only on specific tasks that need more than 4 simultaneous threads..
Therefore, for ALL games currently available, an i5 is very nearly as good as an i7, and for heavy duty video editing an i5 is about 3/4 of the speed of an i7.
Skylake is only about 5% faster than Haswell , and the quicker DDR4 memory makes almost no difference.

So no, putting an i5 on your 1150 motherboard is not stupid.

usa_john

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Once again, Thanks for everyones help! I think that I have decided on the i7 4790k, as it does come with a higher clockspeed, and If i ever get my hands on a better mobo that is OC Compatible, I have that option to make it even more better than the i5 6600k OC.

I still dont know about the cpu cooler. If I should stick with the stock or get a better Hyper 212 Evo. Lodders did mention that a stock keeps the VRM (dont know what this is) cooler. Never heard of this, but if it is the case I guess a better stock cooler is the way to go. Hmmmmmm.

HyperCat

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
No, Skylake is 10-12% better than Haswell in benchmarks and tests.

lodders

Admirable

http://www.overclock.net/t/891696/a-short-power-phase-design-explanation.
The article talks about how 8 phases are better than 4. Your motherboard is very cheap - it only has 3 phases.
If you buy the 4790k, a wise man would REDUCE the clock speed. Probably 3.7 or 3.8Ghz will be OK at 1.1Volts Vcore. If you don't, the motherboard could fail and damage your CPU at the same time..

NB, if you buy a new motherboard, you need to re-install windows and all your games etc.

usa_john

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

If I need to reinstall Windows, do I need to buy it again or?

lodders

Admirable

If you have an original Windows 7 DVD, then you can phone microsoft and ask them to authorize the motherboard replacement - tell them that you have repaired your computer. If you have a product recovery DVD, you need to buy a new copy of windows.

Summary of your choices
Existing motherboard and i5 = a very good choice
Skylake i5 = 5-10% faster, but it costs you a new motherboard and new windows install
4770 or 4790 at 3.8Ghz = 30% faster, but it is a very expensive CPU,
4790k = 40% faster, but it is a very expensive CPU, and it also costs you a new motherboard and new windows install

UPDATED INFO

HyperCat

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
"30% Faster"? He wont note any diffrence between a 4790K and a overclocked i5 6600K in gaming, which is his main purpose. And he wont be doing much editing.

HyperCat

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
Sorry if i misunderstood you, just wanted to say theres almost no performance gain between a i7 and i5 in gaming.

usa_john

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
Not atm, there isnt. But once ga,es start using more and more threads, it will be more viable. Or am i wrong? So a i7 will last me longer making it better for my last upgrade on a 1150 socket mobo?

HyperCat

Respectable
Jun 7, 2016
Yes IF they start to use more threads, the i7 will get perofrmance gain over the i5. But an i5 will probably last you several years before you need to upgrade. I have an Pentium clocked at 2,4 Ghz with 2 cores and it could handle AC: Black Flag, Saints Row IV, CSGO, COD MW3, Mafia 3, Saints Row Gat out Of Hell, Skyrim with mods (not many maybe 5-8) and GTA IV with my Nvidia GT320 at 1080p resolution without any problems so a i5 6600K (which you can overclock makes it more future proof) is more than enough. There is ALOT of people who have built an PC with a i5 6600K and they dont care if games will use more threads because they can play ANY game without ANY lags or problems with their i5!

usa_john

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016

What you are saying is true, even though I have a hard time running stuff on my pentium.

An i5 handles todays games just fine, and if I ever need to uppgrade to an i7 in the future, I have the choice of a 6700.

GOSH!!! WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO HARRRRDDDD! :D :D