[SOLVED] i7-4790k reaching 100 degrees after GTX 1080 install

Mar 4, 2022
Computer Specs:

i7-4790k @ 4.00 GHz (Turbo Enabled)
CPU Cooled by a H80iGT Corsair Water Cooler
GTX 1080 FE
32 GB DDR3 of G.Skill Ram @ 2400 MHz
Corsair CX 750 Power Supply

I have been using the i7-4790k since December of 2015. I have never overclocked it once (just have had the Turbo Boost option enabled). I recently upgraded my GPU from an AMD HD 6700 series to a GTX 1080. When I made this upgrade, I thought it would be a good time to overclock the 4790k a bit especially since I do have a water cooler. I decided to try overclocked to 4.6 GHz with the voltage set at 1.260. This is where I ran into issues.

I was able to play BF4 on Ultra at a constant 200 FPS which was exciting however, when I closed out of the program and launched Warzone, the computer instantly crashed and gave me a bluescreen. I also stress tested the CPU prior to launching BF4 to make sure the OC was stable, and it was as the CPU maintained 80 degrees at full load. The computer then restarted however this time it didn't even allow me to login to windows as it again crashed giving me a blue screen. So, I went back into the bios and removed the OC settings. I was able to re-login to windows however, after stress testing it again the CPU managed to reach temps of 90+ eventually getting up to the 100 mark and then crashing.

So, I’m not sure why my CPU is now crashing at the settings it was previously at (no OC just Turbo) when I have been running it like that for years. I decided to take out the GTX 1080 and re-install the AMD HD 6700 (I also deleted all NIVIDA drivers using DDU prior to putting the AMD card back in). Temps looked to be back to normal, so I thought that the GTX 1080 caused the issue because the CPU now needs to run a lot faster for the GTX 1080. So, to make sure that that was the case, I re-installed the GTX 1080 expected the CPU to reach 100-degree temps. However, the CPU ran like normal, reaching an 80-degree high after a 15 min benchmark. So now I was really confused because it wasn't the GTX 1080.

I decided to then give OC another go but this time I decided to increase it to 4.4 GHz with a 1.22 voltage and this crashed the computer again reaching 100 degrees. At this point, I knew the issue had to be my cooler or my thermal paste was old. Since I haven't changed my thermal paste since I built the computer back in 2015, I decided to remove the AIO and replace the thermal paste. I also noticed the radiator was absolutely clogged with dust, so I thought that had to be a contributing factor. Once I re-installed the AIO back into the PC and then ran some benchmarks (with non-OC) it seemed to work (sort of) only getting again 80-degree highs which was the same as before. But I thought since the cooler has been cleaned and I applied new thermal paste that I could once again try OC the CPU.

I tried to do the 4.6 GHz at 1.260 voltage again however it again crashed. I then tried the 4.4 GHz with 1.22 voltage and yet again it crashed. So, at this point I reverted the BIOS back to where there was no overclock and once, I booted back into windows and ran a benchmark, it again crashed. This was extremely frustrating as it seemed as if overclocking the CPU at all causes a never-ending loop of bluescreens and 100-degree highs under 100% loads even if I revert back to non-OC settings.

I managed to get it back to operating normal (with the GTX 1080 installed) and I decided to not even mess with OC since apparently my CPU has major issues with it (even though its an i7-4790k). I decided to test some games (GTA 5, Warzone, BT4) and then all ran really well (except GTA 5 which had a stuttering problem, but I fixed it by changed the Direct X version to use 10 instead of 11 in the game settings). This is where everything went wrong again!

After doing that I decided to launch Minecraft, a game that is much easier to run than GTA 5 and when launching into the game, the CPU temps skyrocketed to 100 degrees and crashed. Keep in mind, I didn't even make it to the main menu screen. The computer then restarted and I tested it again and the same thing happened. So, at this point I was super upset since I don't know what is wrong with my PC.

When applying the thermal paste, I did notice that it seemed a bit chunky/chalky (but I'm not sure since this was the first time, I applied thermal paste). My dad who gave it to me mentioned he got it a while ago (maybe 1-2 years ago). So that might be the problem, which is why I am going to replace the thermal paste again with something newer.

However, I don't know if that will fix it. I feel like there is no way my CPU is suddenly broken because of the first overclock that I did to it. I also understand that the GPU upgrade results in the CPU working harder however, I think that the i7-4790k is more than capable of handling the GTX 1080 as the CPU came out 2 years before the 1080 was released. Plus, I have seen many people on YouTube running the same CPU and GPU as mine.

I don't know what to do at this point and I need some help desperately. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks
(While writing this, my CPU temps are at 60 degrees with no overclock using Brave Browser)

Solution
I think you are right. I am going to replace the H80 with a Hydro Series which I think should be good enough for this CPU. I will let you know if it works. Thanks
AIO coolers do not last forever. Air intrudes through the tubes and the unit must be replaced. 5-7 years is about right.
Also, the pump can fail or get clogged.

I might suggest you try a good air cooler if your case permits.
They usually cost less and a good one will cool as effectively as a 280 size aio.
Noctua maintains a list of suitable cpu coolers.
Here is the list for the 4790K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-214
I think you are right. I am going to replace the H80 with a Hydro Series which I think should be good enough for this CPU. I will let you know if it works. Thanks
AIO coolers do not last forever. Air intrudes through the tubes and the unit must be replaced. 5-7 years is about right.

They usually cost less and a good one will cool as effectively as a 280 size aio.

Solution
Mar 4, 2022

Yeah I replaced the water cooler and it fixed it. I actually went with a D15 Noctua air cooler aswell from you recommendation. I am in love with it. 67 degree high on full load. And its super quiet. Thanks!