Question I7 4790k + Rx6900xt

Jul 20, 2022
Short Intro, I'm Ken, and've been a pcgamer as long as pc gaming exists :)
Currently, I'm running a 4790k with 16gigs of ddr3 2000mhz and a vega56 powered by a corsair Rm850 I (remnant of a dual hd7970 setup :p )
Now I just bought a new TV (I use my tv as pc screen due to space restrictions) which is a 75" 4k 100hz nanocell, and I fear 1080p/60hz gaming isnt going to cut it anymore on that panel. So I'm looking at upgrading my system, and we all know what that costs nowadays. The Idea was, buying the 6900xt first, replacing the vega56, and save up for the rest of the system. In doing so I was hoping to get a better experience out of my new tv (knowing well enough i'm bottlenecking the ----- out of that 6900xt) till I can afford the rest of a high end system. But here's where I need some pro advice. Will I run into considerable problems trying to jam a 6900xt into a pci-e 16x gen2 on my z97 pro gamer mobo other than the obvious fps loss due to that cpu. I was targetting 1440p high to ultra at 100fps. The thing that has me worried the most is horrendous frametiming due to the 100% load on the cpu. which would result in choppy gameplay (and I think that will be sickening on a 75inch display) or isn't that a thing? Would love to know what you guys think about this situation :)
tnx

MOD EDIT: Langauge, please avoid Profanity

Last edited by a moderator:

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Well, you could make do with 1440p with that kind of setup so that the workload will be GPU-bound instead of being CPU-bound. It is definitely a bottleneck as you have mentioned. If you will buy the 6900 XT, what will your CPU be (Intel or AMD)? Are you willing to wait a few more months for the next generation of CPUs and motherboards to hit the shelves?

Reactions: artk2219
Jul 20, 2022
Been an ATI/AMD fanboy all my life, but Intel's cpu's were just better in the days... new system will be AMD Cpu, but that's not the point here. The simpel question is.... Can the 6900xt for whatever reason give me a worse experience than the vega56 because of Loading the CPU to 100% trying to get to 1440 high/ultra 100fps and introducing stutter due to frame timing problems?

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Been an ATI/AMD fanboy all my life, but Intel's cpu's were just better in the days... new system will be AMD Cpu, but that's not the point here. The simpel question is.... Can the 6900xt for whatever reason give me a worse experience than the vega56 because of Loading the CPU to 100% trying to get to 1440 high/ultra 100fps and introducing stutter due to frame timing problems?
It depends on the games you play. You will see your 4790K be on full load if you play RTS games, run a lot of mods in games, MMORPGs, battle royale games with a lot of players involved and so on in 1440p high/ultra settings. If the games you play are older titles, it shouldn't have any problems at all. Maybe you could overclock your 4790K to get more performance out of it to keep up with the 6900 XT.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Why not go for 60 FPS in 4K.

Jul 20, 2022
Ironically CPU requirements go down at 4K since the GPU is the one thats choking to process the data.
Do the cpu requirements really go down? Isn't it more the case of not choking down the cpu with too much frames so the gpu becomes a limiting factor, hence upgrading cpu won't help? I mean, this would mean that 60fps on 1080p, 1440p and 4k would be the same load on the cpu? I have a hard time grasping this :)

artk2219

Distinguished
You're good on the PCIE bottleneck, that may eat up like 5%, but honestly your CPU will probably bottleneck it like 20%+ so I wouldnt worry about it, and as I stated above gaming at 4K actually lowers your CPU bottleneck since the GPU is taking more of the load. Honestly you wont damage anything, and yeah you'll definitely still have a very nice experience, it shouldn't perform any worse than it did with your Vega 56, you're just leaving some performance on the table until you change out your platform is all.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pci-express-scaling/27.html

Jul 20, 2022
You're good on the PCIE bottleneck, that may eat up like 5%, but honestly your CPU will probably bottleneck it like 20%+ so I wouldnt worry about it, and as I stated above gaming at 4K actually lowers your CPU bottleneck since the GPU is taking more of the load. Honestly you wont damage anything, and yeah you'll definitely still have a very nice experience, it shouldn't perform any worse than it did with your Vega 56, you're just leaving some performance on the table until you change out your platform is all.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pci-express-scaling/27.html
I was just worried that loading the cpu to a 100% during gaming could introduce frametiming issues and thus stutter. Allright, I quess that's enough info on the topic, I thank you guys for the insight. When I see I good deal on a 6900xt I'll snatch one up :)

artk2219

Distinguished
Do the cpu requirements really go down? Isn't it more the case of not choking down the cpu with too much frames so the gpu becomes a limiting factor, hence upgrading cpu won't help? I mean, this would mean that 60fps on 1080p, 1440p and 4k would be the same load on the cpu? I have a hard time grasping this :)

I guess I should rephrase that, its not that your CPU is necessarily less of a bottleneck, so much as its not the main bottleneck. Basically the CPU gets some room to breath because its waiting more often for the GPU to finish its calculations and output them before its has to feed it more data to process.

Jul 20, 2022
I guess I should rephrase that, its not that your CPU is necessarily less of a bottleneck, so much as its not the main bottleneck. Basically the CPU gets some room to breath because its waiting more often for the GPU to finish its calculations and output them before its has to feed it more data to process.
Yeah, that makes more sense :)

artk2219

Distinguished
I was just worried that loading the cpu to a 100% during gaming could introduce frametiming issues and thus stutter. Allright, I quess that's enough info on the topic, I thank you guys for the insight. When I see I good deal on a 6900xt I'll snatch one up :)

What makes you think it isnt running at 100% when youre playing now though hah, typically most games will take whatever they can get when they can get it. But thats good to hear, I hope you enjoy the upgrade!

Jul 20, 2022
What makes you think it isnt running at 100% when youre playing now though hah, typically most games will take whatever they can get when they can get it. But thats good to hear, I hope you enjoy the upgrade!
Hmm, only every diagnostic tool I ever checked for cpu load... :) Never seen a 100% load on the cpu on forza horizon 5 (1080p medium to high settings) locked to 60fps and the same for COD warzone (1080p max settings 60fps locked) I'm guessing it's the 60fps limit because of my previous 55inch 60hz LCD :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Do you really think that cpu and ram can keep up at 4K ? Or are you just trolling? :D
They don't actually go down in theory you can get the same FPS @1080p as you can @4K as far as the processor goes the demand on higher resolutions go to the video card.

EDIT although a bit old now the 4790K was a very good processor for it's time, still today it should do 60FPS in about all games and in some games still more than that.