i7 4790K temperatures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kishore Kamal

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
I have just purchased i7 4790K and Asus z97 sabertooth mark 2. At ambient temp (31 C), In idle CPU reads 41C and at 100% load it is 84 C. Is this temps OK? I am using CM Hyper TX 3 cooler. Is this OK. In next summer I will buy Nactua D15 or NZXT liquid cooler.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Darkbreeze is right. That cooler is very low end for an aftermarket cooler, and is only a baby step better than the Intel stock cooler. We've now seen that Devils Canyon procs don't run that much cooler than regular Haswell 4770k's so I would start saving now, and invest in a better cooler. If you like air coolers, fine, but I would invest in a little better than the Hyper 212 EVO (which is a fine cooler, but there are certainly better choices).

Personally I've been very pleased with the results of my Corsair H80i on my i7 4790k. I idle in the mid 20's (C), and hit mid 40's (C) under load (I'm talking gaming, etc..., not XTU or PRIME95).

I like Artic Silver 5 TIM too, as well as MX-4. MX-4 is actually my favorite. Remember less is more with thermal paste. Don't over do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ody2xNGA0C4

Not trying to be lame about it, really, but isn't that what I asked about in the beginning?