Question i7 4790k won't power up

Jan 12, 2020
This is my first post. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

I built a gaming PC back in Sept. 2014. ASUS Maximus Ranger VII, i7 4790k, GTX 980, 32 GB RAM. I played it for a year and in Dec. 2015 something happened and I haven't been able to get it running since. I push the power button, everything turns on for 1 sec and immediately shuts off.

I tried everything that I could find on the forums for a possible fix but have had no luck. First I tried a new PSU, took everything out and tried booting it with only the essentials, took the motherboard out of the case and tried booting that way, reset CMOS, updated BIOS. That's not the whole list of things I've tried, but you can see the point I'm trying to make, I've tried pretty much everything. After all of that I sent the Motherboard back to ASUS to check it. I got the board back without any explanation from them on whether it was defective or not, the only way I could tell that they did anything to it is that they fixed one of the clips for the RAM slots. It still didn't power up. So anyway, I sent it back down there again. Same thing, no explanation from them about what they did to check it. It still didn't work. So then I moved onto the CPU. I sent it back to Intel with the exact same results as the Motherboard RMA, no explanation at all about what they did. At that point, I just gave up and put it in storage thinking that I would come back to it later. So anyway, that was back in January 2016.

About a month ago I decided to mess around with it again. I bought a new Motherboard, Maximus Hero VII and attempted to get it running again. The exact same thing happened. It turns on and immediately shuts off. Last week I found a PC at our office with the CPU (i5-4460) with the same socket lg 1150 as the 4790k. I threw it into the Hero Vii and it booted up. I put the 4790k back in it and it won't power up.

I'm honestly at a loss here. I'm pretty much at the point now where I was thinking about building a new PC anyway, but it bugs me that I can't figure this thing out. Is there anyone who has ran into this situation before?

Starcruiser

Honorable
Are you wiring the power and reset buttons correctly? The black and white diagrams can be confusing for a lot of people. Could you post a picture of the wiring there so I can compare it to the manual? Unless you're 100% sure it's right.