[SOLVED] I7 5775c on optiplex 9020

Feb 8, 2021
Hi everyone,

Anyone knows if i7 5775c will work in optiplex 9020 having q87 chipset?

My h97 motherboard Is no longer working and I got a optiplex 9020 that I can use. It has i5 4th gen currently. I'm wondering if I can use my i7 5775c. It's the same socket 1150 but different generation.

Thank you for anyone who has answers.

Solution
not sure how that even possbile. optiplex 790 support 2nd gen. chipset q65

5th gen is a one off from intel. not too many motherboard support it.
Oops, your right--I was wondering why 790 didn't look right to me.

If Dell ever supported the 5775c on any of the x020 platforms you have a shot. Dell doesn't always list all their supported processors (especially xeons) since they're not tested, but many have found that a lot of unsupported stuff works fine. Here's a supposed build with the 7020 sff that used the 5775c:

I haven't been able to find any more evidence of a 5775c working, but because of the rarity...
not sure how that even possbile. optiplex 790 support 2nd gen. chipset q65

5th gen is a one off from intel. not too many motherboard support it.

If Dell ever supported the 5775c on any of the x020 platforms you have a shot. Dell doesn't always list all their supported processors (especially xeons) since they're not tested, but many have found that a lot of unsupported stuff works fine. Here's a supposed build with the 7020 sff that used the 5775c:

I haven't been able to find any more evidence of a 5775c working, but because of the rarity of the chip and the unlisted nature of chips that work. That doesn't mean it won't work--its just that there's no confirmation that it definitely will work. I would try it if you could and report back. Be sure to update to the proper bios level before you swap. Typically the newest should be the best, but Dell also will drop support, so check that too.

Solution
Feb 8, 2021

I haven't been able to find any more evidence of a 5775c working, but because of the rarity of the chip and the unlisted nature of chips that work. That doesn't mean it won't work--its just that there's no confirmation that it definitely will work. I would try it if you could and report back. Be sure to update to the proper bios level before you swap. Typically the newest should be the best, but Dell also will drop support, so check that too.

Thank you for the input. I will try it one of these days and will post the result here. Hopefully, it works.