i7-5820k offset voltage BSOD

Bazimek

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
Hello i can run 4,2GHz with 1,1V stable but when i set offset mode with -0,015V i getting sometimes BSOD in games. I guess it happening if load go fast but i dont know.

Solution
4.2GHz is 600MHz above the advertised boost speed. I'm not surprised the chip doesn't like being undervolted at that speed.

The reason your overclock is unstable is because you increased the clock speed but decreased voltage. The only times I decrease voltage is when underclocking due to thermal issues on the CPU or motherboard VRMs. Unless thermals are an issue, I don't think you need to decrease voltage.

The only times I change voltage when overclocking is when I want to get a really high clock speed but the chip becomes unstable at load. In which case I usually start increasing voltage by .01V at a time until it either gets to uncomfortable temperatures or stabilizes at load.

Bazimek

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
So you recommending offset mode with +- 0,00V? That is like 4,2GHz for 1,13V but i know im stable at 1,1V because when im fixed at 1,1V with 4,2GHz im stable. But with offset im when i guess low load i got BSOD because low volts. Maybe Vdroop control? Or offsert with like +0,025V will be ok?

What is the make and model of your motherboard and power supply? I'd like to know what I'm working with so I can offer some valid advice.

If thermals are not an issue, there is no need to decrease voltage. I'm aware that there is research online saying that decreasing voltage will increase the life of the chip. However, it's a difference between 15 years and 16 years. The chip will become obsolete before the voltage kills it.

Bazimek

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016

Corsair RM650x And MSI X99A SLi Plus

This is great quality hardware, it should not react badly to voltage changes. You may have just lost the silicon lottery.

Bazimek

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016

So what i need to jsem offset voltage mode with increase voltage + And what About vdroop settings pro fixed voltage And CPU ratio

CPU ratio is the multiplier. You want to use this for your overclocking. Leave the base clock at default and use it to fine tune the overclock once you hit the limit of the multiplier.

When increasing CPU speed, you raise voltage, not lower it. However, if the system is still stable at default voltage then there's no need to increase it. Remember that more voltage means more heat. Lowering the voltage will often result in an unstable overclock.

Solution