i7 6700 (non-k) bottleneck 2080?

Jan 28, 2019
I currently have an i7 6700 (non-k) paired with an MSI Armour GTX 1070, I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card to an RTX 2080. I'm afraid that my computer would then have a major bottleneck issue due to my cpu. I'm on and off about the topic so I just really don't know if I should upgrade my gpu or just upgrade my cpu then my graphics card. I'm not trying to rebuild my entire computer so I'm trying to save as much money as I can. I know for sure that most cpus will bottleneck an rtx 2080 but I just would like to know how significant it would be in my computer. I may also consider the 2070 to save some money but I would like to know how bad the bottleneck would be with a 2080 and I just wanna know what you guys think what I should do. I game at 1080p btw.

Thank you

Jan 28, 2019

So maybe I should switch to 1440p? I like to use competitive settings which are mainly low settings so I don't know if that would further contribute to the bottleneck at 1080p.

Reducing settings gives the GPU less to do so Yes it will increase bottleneck. The more you can give the GPU to do the less is the bottleneck (increase in game settings and/or resolution).
With your relatively modern I7 I would not worry about bottleneck.

Jan 28, 2019

I think I'll go ahead and upgrade to the RTX 2080 whenever I decide to then maybe upgrade my cpu down the line to the new ryzen 3rd gen whenever it gets released. I might just keep my 1070 for now and get a better monitor then maybe upgrade to the 2080 when I actually need to. As of now, thinking about it, my 1070 still performs very well for me so I may upgrade my monitor first.

Reactions: l_u-c_k